IGNORED

brake pad wear

MWS

When I had my tires replaced 2 weeks ago, they also had to replace the rear brake pads, but not the front.

I asked the guy why, and he said "'cause they're linked!" My braking habit is mostly front lever mixed in with rear pedal and minimal rear only.

Since I was taught that 70% of brake power is front, so linked brakes still shouldn't eat rear pads faster than front pads, should they?

Mark......

Wouldn't one disk rear vs. two up front plus the computer applying brakes where it thinks best make a difference?......I just replaced the rear pads on my K 75 and not the front and have been told that " the rear pads wear out faster than the front"...I, too, use much more front brake than rear...Almost always when not slow or conering...And even in cornering at speed use some light trail braking with the front sometimes...

I'll be interested in seeing other comments on this....

Phil.........Redbrick......

Premature rear brake pad wear is common for the GT/RS. Replacement time can range from 7,000 to 18,000 based on what I've heard from other K owners. My GT was ready for new pads at the 10k mark.

On the other hand my RT rear pad didn't need replacement until 38K; yet this is basically the same system as the K, or is it?

On the bright side, you'll find they are very easy to replace.

ShovelStrokeEd

There is a good deal more to it than simply two calipers vs one.

It has to do with BMW's decision to link the brakes and the way they linked them and the ratio of front to rear braking that gives maximum effect on the bike. The reason most riders whose bikes are not equipped with the linked brakes don't show much wear on the rear is that they are underutilizing the rear brake. Once the brakes became linked, BMW was able to apply the proper amount of brake on each stop. A small price for this action is increased wear on the rear brake pads. No more than what you would experience if you applied the rear brake yourself in the same fashiion.

$40 every year and a half, based on our milage survey, isn't all that high a cost.

When I had my tires replaced 2 weeks ago, they also had to replace the rear brake pads, but not the front.

I asked the guy why, and he said "'cause they're linked!" My braking habit is mostly front lever mixed in with rear pedal and minimal rear only.

Since I was taught that 70% of brake power is front, so linked brakes still shouldn't eat rear pads faster than front pads, should they?

If your drag your rear brake going into corners it will also wear out faster then the front brake on the KRS/KGT.

Archived