IGNORED

RT and Aux Tank

MarkEngland

I plan on installing an AUX tank on my 2006 RT and was hoping someone has already installed one on a RT or can recommend someone who as expierence in this area.

I am having blm-accessories build the tank, but the following questions pop up.

1. If I use grativity feed, will the fuel level in one tank, push fuel out of the other tanks vent line?

2. Should I use a pump and simply pump fuel from the Aux tank to the main tank when the main tank runs out?

3. How is the Aux tank connected to the fuel system?

Thanks

Mark

I plan on installing an AUX tank on my 2006 RT and was hoping someone has already installed one on a RT or can recommend someone who as expierence in this area.

Did you search here? Make sure to set the date variable.

I can't recall threads on your type of RT but I've seen a custom fabbed oversize main tank, and one that was a sort of flat rectangle where a topcase would go.

Here's mine on an older RT

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=309866&page=1

I am having blm-accessories build the tank, but the following questions pop up.

Can't they help w/ install advice on your bike?

1. If I use grativity feed, will the fuel level in one tank, push fuel out of the other tanks vent line?

Only if you have them both full and the transfer valve open.

Close valve, fill both, drain main, open valve filling main from aux, close valve

One time I caused a bunch of fuel to come out a vent- I don't remember what exactly I did. Hopz and I were heading to Fall Torrey last year when I did it....

I think I had left the transfer valve open, topped off the aux tank, and didn't close the transfer valve....

2. Should I use a pump and simply pump fuel from the Aux tank to the main tank when the main tank runs out?

Only if you can't get your aux tank high enough to gravity transfer. Gravity isn't fast but it's faster than the bike pulls fuel out of the tank. I've yet to wish I had a pump.

3. How is the Aux tank connected to the fuel system?

Thanks

Mark

Mine has a bulkhead fitting right into the bottom corner of the tank. See that thread. I have a length of fuel hose with a self-shutting quick release on the end that's permanently on the bike. It hasn't leaked yet.

Mark, I don't run an aux tank myself but have helped a few riders with their setup..

1. If I use grativity feed, will the fuel level in one tank, push fuel out of the other tanks vent line?_____ It could if the aux fuel tank is higher than the main tank & if you transfer enough fuel to overfill the main tank.. (workaround)-- If you vent the main tank into the higher tank,, then vent the high tank as the main & only system vent it can’t push fuel out the vent..

But you could still have a problem (not venting related though) if the main tank doesn’t have a tight sealing fuel cap or if you open the main tank fuel filler cap with the main tank over full..

2. Should I use a pump and simply pump fuel from the Aux tank to the main tank when the main tank runs out?_____ It makes it easier to transfer fuel quickly but as long as the aux tank is higher it shouldn’t be needed (see below)..

3. How is the Aux tank connected to the fuel system?____ Good question,, the easiest way would be to transfer into the main tank’s fuel return line.. Not sure if just gravity alone will transfer the fuel there with the engine running but it would transfer easily with the engine off & would transfer if the aux tank had a pump.. The other way is to add an additional hose fitting to the main tank you want to transfer into..

Twisty

I spoke with Mark (service manager at Ride West BMW) and informed me that with my desired mounting location I will require a pump.

So the question is: any recommendations on a pump?

Thanks, Mark

Archived