IGNORED

Two GPSs right next to each other.. Interference?

krussell

I'm about to add a Garmin GPS-18x OEM sensor to my bike, and my plan was to mount it on the BMR shelf right next to my Zumo. I read somewhere about GPSes interfering with each other and was curious to know what others have experienced. I know I've seen some posting here with multiple dash mount GPS units, any problems?

ShovelStrokeEd

I can't imagine why they would. They are receivers, not transmitters. I don't think there are any active components within that would not be shielded.

They are receivers, not transmitters.

Most receivers area also transmitters in a sense in that they can emit a weak signal from the local oscillator. This is the technical basis behind banning some receivers from being used on commercial aircraft (although the concern is pretty silly for the most part.) Also how police radar detector detectors work. And how they used to make sure that UK citizens paid their TV tax.

To the OP, it is possible for two GPS receivers placed near each other to interfere, but not likely.

Yes, that's what "LO radiation" is in my post. It is a common EMI issue in some receiver systems.

Ya, I know, was just expanding on what you said for those who didn't know what 'LO' meant...

So why do you need 2? I have had no reliability issues with my Zumo. I am new to GPS as I only recently could justify the cost and convenience.

Dave

So why do you need 2? I have had no reliability issues with my Zumo. I am new to GPS as I only recently could justify the cost and convenience.

Dave

I have run two on long distance rallies. Use one for mapping and routing, and the other for data gathering. By having one GPS that only gathers data, you don't have to be concerned about unintentionally erasing track and mileage logs. On day five of a rally it is real easy to push the wrong button. For off road folks, I could imagine having one loaded with road maps, and one loaded with topographic maps?

The Zumo has a display and is designed primarily for rider assistance during the ride. The GPS-18x is just a GPS sensor that gathers the GPS data and sends it to an attached computer once a second. I'm using the GPS sensor to gather more details than the Zumo track log, and to transmit them to an on board computer I am placing in the glove box. That computer will hold all the tracking details and some other info to assist me with generating detailed maps of routes I've taken.

Here is a picture of the sensor:

cf-md.jpg

It's really small, the puck is only about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.

All that said, I have considered a second traditional GPS as well. When I'm on the bike and I want to know something, I don't like having to push buttons etc. to get what I need. I'd like to have one GPS with just map information displayed, using the entire display, and another GPS that always has speed, altitude, direction, and time to destination.

I'll likely end up adding a display to my on board computer, and I'll display the numeric information there.

I got the Zumo for the cell phone, mp3, XM functionality and alreadyf had the 276C so I mounted them both. I've tried many different ways of using them but settled on the Zumo in a zoomed-in 3D mode (track up) and the 276C in a zoomed-out map mode (north up). Works great. I wouldn't have spent the money for 2 but having them, I'm using them.

In a world where most motorcycle riders do not carry a GPS, leave it to BMW riders to carry TWO! :wave:

I'm in the zero GPS club. OTOH, at least these BMW riders are trying hard to stimulate the economy. :wave:

at least these BMW riders are trying hard to stimulate the economy. :wave:

+1

everytime I take my bike in for service, I feel I am stimulating something.... :) :)

Forgive me, but the whole point of my biking is to get lost. That said my relatives gave me two gpi? for Xmas. I use them in my truck to annoy my wife with excessive directions. She does not know how to turn down the volume or to turn the gpi off. Simple pleasures for simple minds. That said,they do not interfere with each other. I can sit by the window on the plane and tell where I am. That is my chief use so far for these gizmos. It is also funny when they mispronouce street names. One gps will shortly go elsewhere to a friend.

Archived