IGNORED

A few more Torrey pics

Brant Herbert

Brant Herbert

Too much BTDT this trip to shoot many, but here's a few.

I rolled 50,000 miles on my way to Torrey (since 8/9/00). A smile per mile smile.gif

50k_small.jpg

In the crisp morning air, the hoons prepare for their assault on Capital Reef and destinations beyond.

DSCN4446_small.jpg DSCN4447_small.jpg DSCN4450_small.jpg

DSCN4458_small.jpg DSCN4459_small.jpg

A group of late risers took a leisurely Saturday morning ride to Escalante for lunch.

DSCN4460_small.jpg DSCN4464_small.jpg DSCN4486_small.jpg

DSCN4473_small.jpg DSCN4462_small.jpg

Kathy enjoys the view...

stitch2_small.jpg

...and stops to play with a lizard.

DSCN4477_small.jpg DSCN4480_small.jpg

On returning to Torrey after the lunch ride, I made a brisk solo dash through Capital Reef's twisties to the Lake Powell overlook

stitch_small1.jpg

Oh God Brant......the shot of Lake Powell is breathtaking. It is difficult to imagine such a magical place...but that shot just about does it. THANKS! I think the lizard was way too tame. He let me pet him...that is when I started to think that I know nada about lizards and decided he might have some nasty poison skin or something? I guess not...at least I didn't notice any side effects.

While everyone else was trying to warm up the blacktop Saturday, I was in Capitol Reef NP taking pictures. One of the prettiest days I have ever seen in Utah. It's always best the day after a storm. Photo attached.

101022-Barn.jpg.d141d6a441b1b50548636b8208338d75.jpg

Brant Herbert

Digital. My trusty Nikon 990 with wide angle extension lens. Shot hand-held w/o a tripod, I exposure-locked the camera, then shot the sequence of photos at approx. 45 degree compass increments, trying to keep the camera level across all shots. In the end, I had about 10 photos. The magic happens in Photoshop Elements, the "Photomerge" command. Pretty cool! I'm still learning how to shoot these panoramas. It would help if I shot with a tripod so the horizon stays level across all shots. Still, its kinda fun! smile.gif

What I wish I could shoot would be these "immersive'" 3D photos from IPIX, but that technology isn't targeted to the hobbyist, too much $$ for the keys to encode images. Maybe someday, when I finish accessorizing my RT (i.e never smile.gif )

Brant,

Thanks for the pics. I was unable to get there, but was through Torrey in April of this year and June of last. I love that area, and am really mad I couldn't be there. Was Diablo Cafe open? In April they hadn't opened up yet. Some note on the door about skiing. What a great life.

Slaniac.

If the shoe fits, get another one just like it.

Sorry Wurty....

We all got naked and howled at the moon. We all promised never to talk about it though. What happens in Torrey, stays in Torrey.....

oooppppss. frown.gif

Archived