IGNORED

PIAA 910 on R1200RT ... mounting options?

Jack90210

I can't seem to find a good place to mount a light as large as the 910 on my RT.

Currently I've got PIAA 1100 lights on Jimmy Mounts and, for my money, they don't cut it. They do add light to the road, but they kind of smear it all over the place, and if they're aimed high enough to be useful they're too bright to oncoming traffic (as well as lighting up every overhead highway sign). TERRIBLE in any kind of fog. The 910s throw a significantly more focused beam -- much more useful to me.

Unfortunately, the Jimmy Mounts don't seem to be up to the task of holding a light as large as the 910 -- the 910s vibrate a LOT on these mounts, whereas the 1100s are rock solid on them.

Any suggestions? Anybody already do this?

Consider Hella FF50's,available in driving and fog patterns,or for longer range the FF100's.If you have the $$,the Micro DE Xenon HID's are the way to go.

All here: http://www.rallylights.com/hella/AuxiliaryLampsGrid.aspx

and http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4258

Have you looked at a HID conversion for your headlights?

Lots of folks have found this to be a good solution to their

lighting needs.

JR356

I currently have HIDs for both my high beam and low beam on the R12 GSA. In addition I have two Hella Micro HIDs mounted over the fog lights. With everything on, the lighting is quite good but honestly, my 1150RT with no HIDs but had 2 PIAA 1100 plus two PIAA 910s seemed to produce more "usefull" light.

If you must have the 910's and want a sturdy mount, you can't get any better than the BMW RTP under mirror mounts. They bolt up to the frame and look factory.

91595978.jpg

91595935.jpg

If you must have the 910's and want a sturdy mount, you can't get any better than the BMW RTP under mirror mounts. They bolt up to the frame and look factory.

Wow, that's the answer ... as long as they're not a gazillion dollars. Do you have a part number, and/or an idea of how much they cost?

Thanks very much.

I currently have HIDs for both my high beam and low beam on the R12 GSA. In addition I have two Hella Micro HIDs mounted over the fog lights. With everything on, the lighting is quite good but honestly, my 1150RT with no HIDs but had 2 PIAA 1100 plus two PIAA 910s seemed to produce more "usefull" light.

There you go. I've been considering switching the headlights to HID, but I like the stock beam pattern -- particularly the cutoff. I *don't* like light scattered all over the place (reference my above vitriol for the PIAA 1100s).

Consider Hella FF50's,available in driving and fog patterns,or for longer range the FF100's.If you have the $$,the Micro DE Xenon HID's are the way to go.

All here: http://www.rallylights.com/hella/AuxiliaryLampsGrid.aspx

and http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4258

If I'm reading that right, those lights are closer to the size of the 910s than the 1100s.

Here's a comparison of the dimensions of the three:

DE Xenon HID:

462147173_o3xWb-L.jpg

PIAA 1100:

462147177_MJ5Ce-L.gif

PIAA 910:

462147188_vawNh-L.jpg

EDIT: search tags: compare dimensions size lights height width

I end up using the Police brackets above the mirrors. I'm very happy with the results. Sorry but I always have a hard time posting pics.

Email me and I can send you some pics.

Thanks

The 910's are very bright and should be used only with the high beams. They are great on the desert. For daily commute, the 1100s are better. I'm using the P1000 C along with the low beam. They stay "on all the time. I highly recommend.

If you are riding without a helmet or the visor up, you can hear them, otherwise its very unnoticeable. Although I don't get to split lane like I did when I lived in the Bay Area, I always found those lights a life savor. They are aimed exactly on the rear view mirrors of the front cars. But they are not that strong to a point of blind them or having complaints.

My first responce would be NO in most states. I would certainly defer to any and all of the LEO members on this board that could give you the best info. Cheers :lurk:

• 1 month later...

Moto-lights mounted on the brake caliper are a cheaper solution. Though I must say that they were more beneficial as far as visibility to others than for light added to the road.

Is that $220 each or for both? Do you have a source? I ran the part numbers through Google, didn't come up with a source other than in Germany I think.

Thanks.

The part numbers are out of the "Authority" parts catalog. That price is for both and belive me they light the world up especially if you get the 110 watt versions. I have pics of the installed lights availble :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...
Is it generally legal to have lights that are mounted above the level of the headlights?

Bump to see if I can get a more informed answer.

And a question about the police brackets: can they be mounted in either position ("above" or "below" the mirror), or do you buy a specific bracket for the preferred location?

Archived