IGNORED

Executing your Understanding, training, and practice.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

That bicyclist is lucky the videographer was driving what appears to be a Volkswagen Golf GTI or R32. Any other car and it may not have stopped in time to avoid a collision. GTI/R32 pilots are normally heads up, high performance drivers too.

The motorcyclist had his head in the game, made moves that most would not......And was way under his limits. The bicyclist.....Well, he should go home and think about it.....And clean out his shorts.

russell_bynum
The motorcyclist had his head in the game, made moves that most would not......And was way under his limits. The bicyclist.....Well, he should go home and think about it.....And clean out his shorts.

Yeah, no kidding.

Personally, I think it's pretty stupid to be riding a bicycle on Mullholland anyway.

I know that legally they've got every right to be there, but even if the other vehicles are going the speed limit, there's too many blind corners and the speed differential is so high that the outcome isn't likely to be good.

Personally, I think it's pretty stupid to be in/on Mullholland on the weekends anyway.

Fixed it.

This section of road is to be avoided during prime time (mid day on warm weekends).

As an example, watch this

from the same camera car on the same day only this time he is traveling East bound/down hill.

Notice the lookout/parking area at the start.

This is were the squids wheely up hill & stoppy going down hill.

Towards the end notice that the rider overshoots a right-hander & luckily no opposing traffic is near.

I know that legally they've got every right to be there, but even if the other vehicles are going the speed limit, there's too many blind corners and the speed differential is so high that the outcome isn't likely to be good.

Unless you were an avid cyclist, you would not understand the attraction.

Let us not forget that a cyclist is not only the operator but also the power plant of these vehicles.

I'm not going to defend his actions but I will point out that at this point in his ride he has expended a considerable amount of energy & if it seems he made a brain dead move it may be due to just that.

russell_bynum

Personally, I think it's pretty stupid to be riding a bicycle on Mullholland anyway.

Fixed it. No you didn't. I said exactly what I intended to say

This section of road is to be avoided during prime time (mid day on warm weekends).

from the same camera car on the same day only this time he is traveling East bound/down hill.

Notice the lookout/parking area at the start.

This is were the squids wheely up hill & stoppy going down hill.

Towards the end notice that the rider overshoots a right-hander & luckily no opposing traffic is near.

Definitely not for the faint of heart (I've been up there many times and generally try to avoid times of peak idiot density.)

But a bicycle is a hazard even without all that other stuff going on.

Unless you were an avid cyclist, you would not understand the attraction.

Been there, done that. And when I was riding, there were places I didn't go because it would have been a really stupid place to be on a bicycle.

GTI/R32 pilots are normally heads up, high performance drivers too.

Hey, I resemble that remark. I've got the Ur-R32 with the maunual 6-speed. A nice car, and until recently had kept a strong resale price.

Fixed it.

Ah yes, being local I know those roads well having frequented the Rock Store since 1974 . Perhaps too well - note the large overhanging rock at 2:04 in Eric's vid link at the decreasing radius blind turn going downhill. It was there where I got a ride to the hospital in 1980. I was heading uphill (Suzook GS450S - remember those?) and as I approached the apex to that blind corner, a squid on an 2 stroke RD appeared in my lane as he attempted to pass a VW Rabbit! Going uphill, there is no shoulder - only a berm, then a drop off down the hill. I zigged, he zagged but his gear shift lever punched a hole through my left boot before both bikes went down. Two surgeries later, I went home. Oh yeah - I still have that squid's gear shift lever as a souvenir! :eek:

Jeff

For me it was Stunt Road 1975 on the left hander @ 2:35 of this

My fault.

I went wide & hit gravel.

What was the name of the green ambulances... Pruner?

I know that spot too but thankfully from a pavement view! I recall one time in about 1976 when I drove my time trial prepped ALFA GTV to the Store, then followed some motos on a brisk run to the top of Stunt. As with that VW GTi/R32, a nimble little car on the pipe amazes sportbikers not in the know!

Jeff

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Fixed it.

Ah yes, being local I know those roads well having frequented the Rock Store since 1974 . Perhaps too well - note the large overhanging rock at 2:04 in Eric's vid link at the decreasing radius blind turn going downhill. It was there where I got a ride to the hospital in 1980. I was heading uphill (Suzook GS450S - remember those?) and as I approached the apex to that blind corner, a squid on an 2 stroke RD appeared in my lane as he attempted to pass a VW Rabbit! Going uphill, there is no shoulder - only a berm, then a drop off down the hill. I zigged, he zagged but his gear shift lever punched a hole through my left boot before both bikes went down. Two surgeries later, I went home. Oh yeah - I still have that squid's gear shift lever as a souvenir! :eek:

Jeff

And didn't that rock at 0:21 used to have a bullseye painted on it?

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Sooo what was the (company) name of the green ambulances?

I'm pretty sure you're right. Pruner, or something like that.

Archived