IGNORED

When does the BRP open?

JayW

I moved to western NC last year and anticipated riding sections of the Parkway often throughout the year. For the past couple of months I have found all of my usual BRP entrances closed every time I try to get on it. No doubt officials must sometimes close certain sections of it due to snow issues, but I have not been able to find any of it open for a while now.

Anyone have any insights on this? I cannot find any definitive information about his issue on their web site.

Jay

Addendum: I finally located the "official" site for the BRP (www.nps.gov/blri). They have a section on hours and closings, but the information only seems to apply to the roadside amenities and services - not the road itself. Worse, the dates are all Spring, 2008. Very disappointing.

Jay

It's my understanding that the entire parkway is "officially" open to traffic year round--there is no "closed season". However, segments will be closed off and on due to snow/ice as they do not plow the road regularly to keep it open. If we have a severe winter, much of it may be closed continuously for long stretches.

Edit:--perhaps this clip from the website answers it more clearly.

"Winter along the Parkway

As winter arrives along the Blue Ridge, sections of the road may be closed due to dangerous driving conditions. Where travel is permissible, however, many visitors consider this to be the best time of year. Leaves are off of the trees and the views are magnificent on cold, crisp days. The Folk Art Center and Parkway Destination Center in Asheville, as well as the Museum of North Carolina Minerals are year-round facilities. Other visitor centers and park facilities will re-open in the spring."

Is the section around Mt. Mitchell and Ashville still closed for repairs due to rock slide? They were also doing some re-paving and bridge work a few weeks ago in the area of Roanoke. Expect delays; neither I nor the other two people I saw that day were delayed by much.

When it's closed for snow and ice, you're supposed to park at the entrance and go cross country skiing on the roads.

When it's closed for snow and ice, you're supposed to park at the entrance and go cross country skiing on the roads.

Hmmm. I didn't know that. They have iron gates that swing to block the entrance for cars. I'll bet I could get my dual sport around the side of the gate though. Would they frown on that?

Jay

I'll bet I could get my dual sport around the side of the gate though. Would they frown on that?

Jay

Only if you're where you can be frowned at...

Get on and ride!

Before Matt and I get you in too much trouble, you can call the park ranger for that section and ask them. Quinn and Matt said it was okay is not a real legal defense.

I'd make the call from a pay phone so it couldn't be traced.

Quinn and Matt said it was okay is not a real legal defense.

Aaaw, man. I've already printed out their permission comments to add to my on-bike paperwork folder! :(

Jay

Archived