IGNORED

BMWMOA: Soap Opera or Bike Club?

Deaner

So I'v been a member of the BMWMOA for about three days now and checked in to the web site yesterday for the first time. What is the deal? Is it always like this? It seems like the BOD have gone mavrick. Are they going to invade Iraq next? Are the members going to start a jihad in the name of this Sandy? What's the deal? dopeslap.gif

According to Sandy she is gettng the "boot" due to the realignment that's going on. AND if I read it correctly, the "ON" magazine will be dumped for the website bncry.gif That was the main reason I joined. You can't take your home computer everywhere on the bike...(nor would I want to) but you can damn sure toss the magazine in one of the cases. I think "they" call it progress.....yeesh,,,I'll probably let my membership expire.

consider this - there are over a hundred posts, many by the same people, but there are almost 40,000 members.

also consider this - many members don't ever look at the website and get there news from the mag, only.

are you a member or have you checked out the BMWRA? www.bmwra.org

While at the Return to Trenton Rally this past weekend, Ray Zimmerman, BMWMOA Executive Director and I were talking and he stated,"we are not dumping the magazine". That's good enough for me.

I'm no expert but I'm a member and have been following the drama. This is what I have gleaned:

- They are NOT discontinuing the mag, but they are enhancing the web site - adding a sort of online magazine to the current content

- They are not firing Sandy, but looking to hire someone who will be resident at their headquaters (Sandy is not), will be a permanent employee (Sandy is a contractor), and who is qualified to edit both print and the new electronic media

- Sandy can apply for the new position if she likes (unlikely, due particularly to the requirement to work AT the MOA)

- the BOD botched the process of notifying Sandy of the impending changes

So - I have no position with MOA other than being a member who has been following the drama - but those are my impressions. Trying to be neutral on the whole issue. I sure like the magazine, though, and I hope they get everything sorted out. I think they are a good organization worth supporting.

So - I have no position with MOA other than being a member who has been following the drama - but those are my impressions. Trying to be neutral on the whole issue. I sure like the magazine, though, and I hope they get everything sorted out. I think they are a good organizatin worth supporting.

Yep, I agree, with this and the other points you made.

Sandy's done a good job with the magazine but there are hundreds of editors that can take it to the next level. The announcement to her could have been handled better, but how she's handled it (politics behind the scenes) is indicative to me that she needs to go.

She's a contractor, for gosh sake. They want it in house and she doesn't want to work there. What's to discuss? And how are we, from afar, going to question the board of directors with all sorts of information we don't have?

I'm amazed at how quickly people see conspiracies and start rumors. Let her move on. The earth will still rotate at the same speed. If she's that integral to the precious magazine, it indicates that she's not managed the process very well.

The MOA wants to improve their Website to satisfy those members that prefer or enjoy using the web. This should benefit most members. There have been some disputes between Sandy Cohen ( editor of the print magazine) and the web volunteer's over providing magazine content for use on the web. The web volunteer's then got the proviso inserted that they would use a headhunter firm to check out applicants for a new Media Editor position to insure that Sandy Cohen was the best choice. The board of directors went along. It seems that there are at least two political factions in the club, one pro Sandy and one anti Sandy. I don't know the origins but they are there ( despite the protests otherwise). It has been very ugly and some of the BOD have reacted pretty condescendingly to some of the members. The magazine has been very good ( though , like all things it could be better) and the website could certainly be improved. Its a shame that no one in the club was strong enough to get this sorted out before it went as far as it has. Sandy Cohen has gotten into the fray, leaving the high ground and possibly showing why there was enmity between the groups. In anycase she has done an outstanding job on the magazine and providing customer service. The Executive Director, Ray Zimmerman, was directed by a previous President and Board of Directors to solve the problem between print and web and nothing happened. The club will survive, although it will probably lose a few members in the process.

Let her move on. The earth will still rotate at the same speed.

Actually the earths rotation is slowing a little bit every year and the magnetic field is on the verge of a flip. Whether or not this is due to Sandy's impending departure or the Red Socks winning the world series I am not qualified to say.

-Dean grin.gif

Lets_Play_Two

"Whether or not this is due to Sandy's impending departure or the Red Socks winning the world series I am not qualified to say."

Red Sox!! grin.gif

The board of directors went along. It seems that there are at least two political factions in the club, one pro Sandy and one anti Sandy. I don't know the origins but they are there ( despite the protests otherwise). It has been very ugly and some of the BOD have reacted pretty condescendingly to some of the members.

And that is my problem - a lack of openess, vague language in the minutes and the responses that range from the BoD is trustworthy to stop pissing and moaning. It seems you can not question the BoD decisions or motives in the MOA.

Global_Rider
AND if I read it correctly, the "ON" magazine will be dumped for the website bncry.gif That was the main reason I joined.

Well if that is true, then they can say bye-bye to my membership..now at something like 12 years.

As it stands, they are hanging on a very thin thread.

The only parts of the ON that I find interesting are:

- Bench Wrenching by Paul Glaves,

- Keep 'Em Flying by Matthew Parkhouse,

- Tech Sessions by Gary Smith,

- and domestic and international touring reports.

The pages upon pages of "pre and post rally coverage" and that useless "mileage contest" makes for good bum wad.

New motorcycle evaluation reports are like any other...a trumpet blowing session for BMW.

Now if they really are dropping the ON, then costs have dropped and that'll mean membership should drop to about $15 a year.

The BMWMOA mostly revolves around the Rally. More of a business than a club.

Global_Rider
consider this - there are over a hundred posts, many by the same people, but there are almost 40,000 members.

I've often wondered about that...the same old "clique".

As for the other 39,900 members, they probably have a lot better things to do than to listen to a few "Gods".

I believe that the improvements in the website will make for a better club. There should be sections on touring, restaurants, online flea market, tech tips etc. I would hope that the magazine would come out of this fray at least equal if not better but no one knows. The MOA could be a much better club (IMHO) with better leadership that had a vision of what the club could be, not what it is and has been.

It seems you can not question the BoD decisions or motives in the MOA.
Boy, will that change when the website is improved with an active forum! i hope their ready for it. grin.gifgrin.gif BTW, sandy has done a great job with the mag rag. thumbsup.gif

D

Archived