IGNORED

Ignition Noise in My Comm System

twilmotte

I've installed a Baehr UltimaXL in my 2004 RT and have tried everything I can think of to get rid of the whirring ignition noise in the headset speakers when I start & rev up the engine. I've kept all the wires and cables as far away from the engine cylinder heads (and spark plugs) as possible. I've tried powering the Baehr unit first to the tail light and then directly to the battery. I've tried grounding the unit directly to the battery and also to the frame. And most recently, I installed a Newmar PC-10 noise filter between the Baehr and the power/ground sources. I still have ignition noise (although it's not as loud as the music I listen to). Most of the posts about comm systems I've read in this forum pertain to Autocoms. I'm wondering if Autocom users have had similar problems with engine noise abatement and what measures have been taken to get rid of it. I'm also wondering if ignition noise might be a problem specific to the RT since the ignition coils are located on the tips of the spark plugs (and could be functioning as interference "broadcasting towers")? Does anyone have any similar experience with combating ignition noise from the RT's engine? I sure could use your help/advice. confused.giffrown.gif

I'm no expert, but wouldn't a whirring noise be your alternator not your ignition? I always thought that the ignition was a popping noise.

Can someone shed some light on this?

I power my Baehr directly from the battery (also an 04 RT). I have no noise interference at all and I'm not very particular about wire routing dopeslap.gif

There must be something wrong with the unit or the bikes wiring. Do you have a friend with a comm. unit? You could swap units and narrow down where the problem's coming from.

Good luck,

Chris

Maybe "whirring" isn't an accurate description. It could also be described as "buzzing" or "crackling" that increases in pitch and frequency as engine rpms are increased.

Nice install, Chris. I also installed my Baehr in the tail cone similar to yours. I don't have a friend with the same unit so I can't switch units to see if the problem is the unit itself. I've emailed Baehr USA to see if they have any suggestions. I'll be surprised if they even answer my email since I haven't received very good support from them in the past. I'll keep my results posted in case anyone else is interested in buying/installing a Baehr in their RT.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like a ground loop problem. Do a search for "ground loop" (with quote marks). Lots of good ideas out there. This thread is a good place to start.

I've had good results soldering RS's isolator in my line connecting audio source to amplifier. That's the audio feed and not power. Good luck thumbsup.gif

You can also buy special cables which already have a GL isolator, but you'll spend more. Although the RS isolator is a big honkin' thing, and they're nice and small on the premade cables.

Tom,

Thanks for the compliment. What if you hooked the Baehr into a late model car on the 12v power outlet? That may tell you if the unit is still picking up noise.

I really don't think you need to add stuff inline to eliminate noise. Mine's hooked right to the battery (through a relay switch) and it produces no noise at all confused.gif

Good luck,

Chris

Try a 12VDC noise filter from Radio Shack between the battery and your Comm unit. I have the 20A version sitting between my battery and aux fuseblock (for my gadgets).

Also, RS sells these little 1"x2" rectangular donuts that you can thread cables through. This can sometimes help you find which cable is too close to something noisy.

My Comm system is IntaRide, and I can barely hear ignition noise with full volume with my earplug speakers. That's not my usual volume setting!

Hope that helps!

jan

Do you have a radio? With my LT, I get a whine noise when I have my top box removed (which separates the rear speakers from the radio) and the radio is in the off position. When I turn on the radio, the noise goes away. confused.gifconfused.gif

I have an 05 1200rt and a Baehr Ultima XL mounted in the tail cone. I have the exact same crackling sound. Mine stops when I turn on the radio. It was installed by BMW and I have complained. They have contacted Beahr and were told that I need to install an inline noise supressor. I am scheduled to have that installed on Wednesday and can post the results then.

Hope this helps...

Bought & installed the R1150RT specific unit from this mob Challenger Motors (who are the Baehr agent in the "area") last year and installed on my beast. Took me 9 hours to do but it was fun anyway. I've had no problems so far. There is a little bit of noise if the radio is off but that is seldom the case for me.

The instructions for installing the unit were very precise and understandable.

You might want to contact Tony there. He is an approachable guy if you're not having much luck with Baehr US.

My bike is an everyday bike as well as a mobile office so I've just velcro'd the phone and UHF to the top of the tank.

Happy humming down the highway! smile.gif

Thanks everyone for all your helpful suggestions. I'm going to try them and will report back. FTIW, I also emailed customer support at Baehr USA. I'll be interested in their response (if they even answer). confused.gif

Thanks, Mark. I have contacted Tony and he has given me some ideas. He's a very likeable guy and nice to show an interest in my problem even though I didn't buy my Baehr from Challenger. He also suggested temporarily powering the Baehr from a 12V source separate from the RT to see if the noise is coming thru the bike's power/ground. I'll have to rig something up to do that and will report back.

John, I'm really interested in the type (brand) of inline noise suppressor that you have installed and it's effectiveness. Several members have suggested RS (Radio Shack) products, but my local RS says they don't carry them (noise suppressors/filters) anymore. confused.gif Please do report back your results. Thanks.

Rodger, I have the BMW radio/cassette player (made by Clarion) that came from the factory with the bike. I get the noise whether the radio is on or off. And I get the noise while listening to the other inputs (2-way radio), cell phone, or iPod thru 3rd priority input. Your noise problem really is wierd!

Chris, I took your suggestion and hooked up power to the Baehr from the 12V accessory outlet on my Harley. With the RT engine running I did not notice as much noise at all (although there was some). That leads me to believe the main source of the ignition noise is the power/ground feed into the Baehr. I read some other posts that mentioned the "cop bike" RTs are made with special coils & ignition wiring to eliminate RF interference (because of the sophisticated comm systems on police bikes). So, I think my next approach is to buy some shielded wire/cable and run it direct from battery (power & ground) to the Baehr and see what happens. If it helps, it would be a lot cheaper than having my dealer install cop bike wiring in my bike. I'll post my results of the shielded wiring approach.

First of all, I want to thank everyone who took an interest in my noise problem and gave me suggestions -- I really like this forum because its members help each other out. I am happy to report I have finally eliminated the RFI ignition noise, probably due to a combination of actions. But, I think the most effective "magic bullet" was running shielded cables from the battery terminals to the Baehr unit through a Newmar PC-10 filter. I guess the wires I used before were just little antennas soaking up all the RFI being generated by the engine. Thanks again everyone! I'm a happy boy now! clap.gif

Have you tried a different set of ear phones? Some are very sensitive to the RF. I have the same issue with noise when the radio is OFF yet it disappears when ON. If not interested in the radio playing, I just turn the volume to zero. Be sure to let us know how things work out.

Archived