IGNORED

Why so much diesel?

Kitsap

Is there a requirement that commercial vehicles must leak a certain amount of diesel fuel per mile? Bus routes, ship yard frontage roads and sand and gravel yards are just a few of the areas that raise my awareness.

During my commute to work this morning, in the dark, I'm accelerating through a turn on an elevated entry ramp to I-5 Southbound when I catch the aroma of diesel. A moment later I can just make out the faint rainbow of fuel in my line. The bike kicks out both wheels for a moment than catches and un-weights my butt just enough to engage the oh shit look. Just a reminder, keep safe.

Dave in Doodah

It's how the diesel engine manufacturers reduce the emmisions from the tailpipe... :grin:

Nice save, by the way. I know that butt-clinching feeling as well.

I'm particularly leery of entrance ramps near truck stops. The RV folks overfill their rigs, and it sloshes out when it tilts.

Something else I found out about the hard way: exits from car washes. They use that silicone on the black sidewalls to make it shine, and that stuff is like ice.

russell_bynum

Another thing about diesel is it doesn't evaporate quickly like gasoline does. Spill a little gas and it's gone fairly quickly. Spill some diesel and it'll be there a while.

I'm particularly leery of entrance ramps near truck stops. The RV folks overfill their rigs, and it sloshes out when it tilts.

Something else I found out about the hard way: exits from car washes. They use that silicone on the black sidewalls to make it shine, and that stuff is like ice.

Which bike do you take through the car wash? :grin:

BTW, which bike are you riding these days?

Or is that Top Secret?

Another thing about diesel is it doesn't evaporate quickly like gasoline does. Spill a little gas and it's gone fairly quickly. Spill some diesel and it'll be there a while.

Spilled diesel will also give off a unique odor, easily detected while riding a bike.

Stay in the right wheel position when taking ramps, spilled fuel follows the rules of physics and travels to the outside of a curve.

Ca is pretty good at enforcing leaky trucks. Most go through a CHP commercial truck inspection facility every 50 miles or so.

Spilled diesel will also give off a unique odor, easily detected while riding a bike.

Stay in the right wheel position when taking ramps, spilled fuel follows the rules of physics and travels to the outside of a curve.

Ca is pretty good at enforcing leaky trucks. Most go through a CHP commercial truck inspection facility every 50 miles or so.

This batch of fuel must have failed its physics test, in this case I was in the right wheel position. So even though I smelled it first I was still suprised.

• 3 weeks later...

Last spring I was riding Hwy 49 from Auburn to my office in El Dorado Hills. Took a 20 MPH blind right downhill corner at maybe 25, and as my sight line opens up I see an 18" wide black streak. No time to change the line enough to avoid it, and the instant I hit it I washed out. Road-rashed every piece of tupperware on the right side, but no injuries other than a hole in my Streetguard jacket.

Sooo...diesel-shmiesel? I think not.

Archived