IGNORED

R1200RT Ride Report

Flash1034

I have to admit I really love this bike. Traded in the 04 R1150RT (which I really liked) for this bike. I'll never look back. This bike is better in every way. I just had the 600 miles service done. Noticed the power, smoothness, comfort, everything just keeps getting better.

Thanks for listening,

cool.gif

Flash

cool.gif Short but sweet.

Much has been said about the changes / improvements over the previous RTs. and a friend asked me today for some direct comparisons, which I wrote and repeat here. My previous ride was a '99 R1100RT.

The most obvious changes I have picked up are:

• You can really feel the 22% increase in power and torque.
  • The bike is perceivably lighter and drops more easily into corners
  • The build quality is improved a lot
  • The new screen is a lot higher
  • The pannier volume is identical, but the inside shape is more regular, resulting in more useable space.
  • The new small topbox is smaller than the old one, but interestingly holds a helmet easily, while the old one didn't.
  • The sidestand position is better - more stable and less likely to involve boot burns
  • The under-seat space is reduced - can't fit a tyreweld anymore
  • The fairing and panels are much easier to remove - most things are more accessible
  • You don't need to remove the tank to access the battery!
  • The new automatic choke is cool, and there are many more gadgets to play with
  • The ESA really works, and works well
  • At 200+ km/h, the bike is far more stable
  • The new seat is a little narrower than my old "comfort" seat

I agree with all of your points...except...I like the old saddlebags (paniers) better. For me, they are easier to operate and load. Just my opinion.

Flash

What is "tyreweld"? Is it a tire plug kit? I'm here trying to learn about BMW's.

An emergency tyre repair thing. An aerosol can that injects a foam that will seal any small punctures for long enough to get to a repair. You probably know it by another name.

Archived