IGNORED

I "strange" symbol in the Multifunction display <!>

rhaus

I looked through the owners manual twice I can not find this. It comes ang goes while the bike is running. Sometimes it is there when the bike is started cold and sometimes when it is started warm. The symbol apears in the center of the screen. The bike seems to be running fine, maybe a little high idle. Since it apears to not be related to any other symbols I am just riding anyway. The first 600 will easily be complete this week and it will go to the dealer for first service. Maybe there will be a code in the computer for it. This is not the same ! as the one in the triangle inside the Warning and Indicator Lights Area.

Dealer is closed today or I would have just called them.

I'd check the oil quickly. According to my manual, the oil check is only carried out when the oil is at operating temperature. If it is coming on when cold, either there is a malfunction with the sensor or, possibly, the oil is very low.

Well I'll vote for a bad sensor. The computer says it is OK and it is at the correct level in the sight glass.

Thank You.

The exclaimation symbol indicates the need to check your oil. Unfortunately, the oil level will probably check fine. Do not over fill the bike with oil in an attempt to get rid of the warninig. My dealer told me BMW of North America has been made aware of the problem and has not, of yet, responded.

The exclaimation symbol indicates the need to check your oil. Unfortunately, the oil level will probably check fine. Do not over fill the bike with oil in an attempt to get rid of the warninig. My dealer told me BMW of North America has been made aware of the problem and has not, of yet, responded.

Exactly what my dealer said.

The oil does check fine and the engine temp has remained normal so I'll just live with it for now. I hate false alarms, they get ignored and then a real problem can be there and get missed. I would rather not have the auto check than have a false reading.

Thank you for the quick answers.

The oil level sensor on the R1200RT may prove to be one of the biggest BMW blunders yet! No person has ever been able to consistently, repeatedly read the oil level in an oilhead, what makes us think a sensor will be able too!?!

Best advice, learn to ignore the thing. Follow the method people have used for oil level checking for years: Look at sight glass + see oil = ride bike.

Excellent advice which I would completely endorse.

But in defence of the sensor system, mine works! (Though, by the sound of it, it may be the only one) wink.gif

Paul

Archived