IGNORED

Pied Piper from the Southeast

Matts_12GS

I'm in from Tallahassee. The obvious route is straight up 95, but Bob Foley from Destin said he was talking with someone who knows the back roads for the whole ride north. I guess it depends on how fast we decide we want to get to N.H.

Nice n Easy Rider
I'm in from Tallahassee. The obvious route is straight up 95, but Bob Foley from Destin said he was talking with someone who knows the back roads for the whole ride north. I guess it depends on how fast we decide we want to get to N.H.

I'm planning on making it from Chapel Hill, NC. It's about 850 miles (at least) and I wanted to do it in 2 days. I figured 95 would be fastest but the truck traffic is absolutely miserable (done that in the cage many a time). I was thinking of maybe using 81 for my fast slab - it's less direct but I think there's less traffic (although that might be wishful thinking). My memory (from years ago) as someone pointed out earlier is that the road surface for 81 in PA was pretty bad but hopefully that might not be the case now. Other thoughts?

For those of you coming from the Southeast, I am about an 60 miles north of Philadelphia in Haycock, PA. It is about 450 miles to Lancaster from here. I have a couple of couches, a camper with a queen bed and 3 bunks camper has AC, floor space and limited tent space. I can accommodate arrivals on Saturday and Sunday before the UN. I will be leaving early Monday morning for the UN.

If you need a place to crash PM me for directions.

Garage space and tools available for minor maintenance.

All space is first come first served.

Ride Safe

John

When I rode from Tallahassee to Nova Scotia I took the Cat out of Bar Harbour.

Change of plans reduced my 7-9 day trip up to 3 days.

I got to I 81 and took it up to NY where I got on back roads through the Adirondacks over to the Kancamangus Hwy then down over to Bar Harbour. I wanted to avoid the Wash. DC New York/Boston corridor.

3 days to Bar Harbour w/some down time.

I 81 is like a lot of slab, congested w/trucks at some places (I split semis :dopeslap:) and full of cages at others. The route itself isn't bad, but not a lot of empty road when I was on it. Better than I 95 I think.

Still awaiting official verdict, hope to find out sooner rather than later, but 3 days of backroads would get you pretty close to the UN site from this neck of the woods.

Coming back from Nova Scotia we stopped in Maine (rode through New Brunswick) then I got back to Tally in 2 days, mostly backroads, but it was pushing.

If you push out of the SE and get to I 81 and up to the mid Atlantic, then you could do 2-3 days of backroads to NH.

I'm going to plan for 3 days of riding and arrival on the 4th day.

Going to hold off on route planning until I know we can still go.

Paul Mihalka

Just a reminder for southeast/northeast travelers: In Virginia put your radar detectors in your tank bags. Both I81 and I95 are heavily patrolled.

Just a reminder for southeast/northeast travelers: In Virginia put your radar detectors in your tank bags. Both I81 and I95 are heavily patrolled.

I put mine in the hollow stock of my AR-15. ;)

Bill, if in, will definitely put some ideas out there.

One of the things I was looking forward to was having as much time before the rally as I wanted to travel up, needing to be back on Sunday following. Now, we'll see what happens.

Best wishes.

Lets_Play_Two

Penelope and I are planning to leave on Friday to arrive in NH on Monday. Part of plan is to head to Charlotte to meet up with Bobbybob and wife and then head to I81. Lots of time to plan.

I put mine in the hollow stock of my AR-15. ;)

:rofl:

that's funny, but if I put my detector in there, it'll cut down on the number of cigarette cartons I can smuggle up to sell to folks in MA!

Speaking about smoking, ;) want to tell the good folks about our cart race? Great time! I do owe ya a beer next time we meet up. :thumbsup:

Pat

Speaking about smoking, ;) want to tell the good folks about our cart race? Great time! I do owe ya a beer next time we meet up. :thumbsup:

Pat

Oh sure, I do a little bump drafting and you get past me... That was darn fun, I think F1 Boston should be on the list of things to do for the UN.

I may be interested in joining a group heading north for the Unrally. But then I may do the quite pleasant Amtrak Autotrain (which I've done before.) Or I may do the 'stop at friends/family route' which takes me to Savannah, GA, then Pinehurst, NC, then Virginia Beach, VA, then son's house in NJ. 400 miles a day is enough for me. I've done the trip to the NE many times, so I know many backroad routes, both the coastal routes and the inland mountain routes.

Or I may do the 'stop at friends/family route' which takes me to Savannah, GA, then Pinehurst, NC, then Virginia Beach, VA, then son's house in NJ. 400 miles a day is enough for me. I've done the trip to the NE many times, so I know many backroad routes, both the coastal routes and the inland mountain routes./quote]

Do your friends / family mind you showing up with a few friends?? :rofl:

Or I may do the 'stop at friends/family route' which takes me to Savannah, GA, then Pinehurst, NC, then Virginia Beach, VA, then son's house in NJ. 400 miles a day is enough for me. I've done the trip to the NE many times, so I know many backroad routes, both the coastal routes and the inland mountain routes./quote]

Do your friends / family mind you showing up with a few friends?? :rofl:

Any friend of Rich is a, wait a minute, he has no friends. :/:wave:

You guys are killing me :(

I'm thinking of a PreUN so I could be back home before the 10th. :Cool:

I could :wave: to you as we pass by, me heading home and y'all heading up. :lurk:

I hear you Tim...

My boss has the audacity! The unmitigated GALL to offer to extend my visit to the UN and have me come work in the Boston the week after the UN so my company can pay my gas up and back.

The nerve of some people!

Lets_Play_Two
I hear you Tim...

My boss has the audacity! The unmitigated GALL to offer to extend my visit to the UN and have me come work in the Boston the week after the UN so my company can pay my gas up and back.

The nerve of some people!

Sounds like a cheap way for your boss to get some work done for which he would otherwise have to pay airfare!!! :)

Actually, they'll reimbursement to the cost of airfare...

I can ride up and back, burn a hotel night each way and come out about the same as my air fare last week.

I tried to do this last summer when I was working on getting to Nova Scotia. I figured a week in Boston and then 5 days up to and around NS before splitting for home.

Sadly, NS didn't quite work out that way.

Lets_Play_Two
Actually, they'll reimbursement to the cost of airfare...

I can ride up and back, burn a hotel night each way and come out about the same as my air fare last week.

I tried to do this last summer when I was working on getting to Nova Scotia. I figured a week in Boston and then 5 days up to and around NS before splitting for home.

Sadly, NS didn't quite work out that way.

Win/Win always makes everyone happy.

I am not certain about the correct place to post this so I'll do so in a couple of spots. I want to give two thumbs up to a wonderful learning experience you might consider weaving into you journey to the UR this August or at another time.

The course is called the Rider's Workshop and is taught / led / coached by Jim Ford. I used to be a trainer of teachers and understandably am quite critical of poor pedagogy. I would put Jim right near the top in his ability to teach motivated adults -- you ride, ride, ride with instructions radioed, modeling by Jim and occasional stops for debriefing, forecasting, etc. He loves to ride and is as smooth as silk.

Typically, the 2-day course is held on a Saturday-Sunday combination. For those of us traveling from the South or West to the UR, it would be pretty easy to work this program into the trip as you could pass very near the beginning which is near the confluence of Western Maryland, West Virginia and Southern, PA.

I took this course last year and learned more than any other course I have experienced. I believe the most powerful learning occurs at the edge of our existing competencies and Jim knows how to provide that for each learner. Although this course is not for beginners or the faint of heart, I was the least experienced rider in the class (5 in a class) and I held my own. There were folks on every kind of bike (a Bergman and a VTX1800 from Idaho!).

We rode nearly 600 miles over two days -- never on the same road twice -- and the roads, views, curves, -- all of it, was terrific.

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have so give me a PM with your number and I'll call you back. I am not affiliated with this program except as a fan of skilled riding and good teaching.

Find out all you want to know here:

Jim Ford

www.ridersworkshop.com

866-767-6900 toll free

The Rider's Workshop

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone still interested in running together up?

From my house to the site is about 1400 miles (by google maps, avoiding highways and tolls) which would mean a couple good long days to get there.

So, I'm thinking of rolling later Friday afternoon for a tank of gas or so (I'm cutting it thin on vacation already this year...) and then getting to Lancaster mid afternoon on Sunday.

Anyone in?

• 1 month later...
Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Ok, I also posted on the cross country Pied Piper thread. Sylva and I are about four hours by shortest route from Lancaster, which would be a nice 6 to 8 hour back road ride, or longer if you want, to Lancaster.

We're in Troy, NY and would love to host for the last stop on the Pied Piper run. Who knows maybe I can get the mayor to present the key to someone.... hmm... bunch of bikers, probably not going to happen. Anyway, we have facilities and amenities within walking distance of our house: a brew pub, hotel; Irish-Mexican restaurant; other stuff; our place with a back yard, room for a few tents, wireless internet, maybe we do a cook out.

Sylva and I would love to host. We have CRAZY personal and business travel schedules this year and we're not sure if we're going to be able to do the Un. We'd love to do this as our way of giving back to a community that has been such a part of our lives. (Yea, yea, we know we've been recluses lately, but having a baby will do that.)

Anyway, take it under consideration. We'd love to see people and have the neighborhood taken over by bikes. It'd be a lot of fun.

Mark

Baby, schmaby!

I'm in just to visit a new brew pub!

If all goes well, I'll buzz into Quakertown and pick up LittleJohn and anyone else and we'll head your way!

Calvin  (no socks)

Mark, I am sending my wife up to ALB airport.... I will pick her up Saturday evening. This may work out, even if we don't meet up with the Pied Piper. Hotel and Brew Pub, (need names) sounds good,.... :grin:

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Excellent. Looks like we'll have some UnRally'ers here.

Calvin, the airport is about 10 minutes from my house. If you need help let us know.

Matts, I'll do some scouting on room rates, etc.

Mark

sounds good.

I was getting of the opinion I'd have to just gut it out up to LtlJohn's in PA and rack up there but if we can get some folks who want to ride, lets do it!

Due to a crappy economy and a weird turn of events at work........I just found out I might be able to tag along with you schmucks. We had a company wide % pay reduction today, which sucks.......BUT, to offset people going postal they gave everyone an extra week of paid vacation, which is good. So now I have plenty of paid time off.......just no money to do anything :rofl:

So it looks like I'll be sipping beer on a Maddog budget and sleeping under the stars, but damn it I'm coming to New England!

For those of you coming from the Southeast, I am about an 60 miles north of Philadelphia in Haycock, PA. It is about 450 miles to Lancaster from here. I have a couple of couches, a camper with a queen bed and 3 bunks camper has AC, floor space and limited tent space. I can accommodate arrivals on Saturday and Sunday before the UN. I will be leaving early Monday morning for the UN.

If you need a place to crash PM me for directions.

Garage space and tools available for minor maintenance.

All space is first come first served.

Ride Safe

John

Just moving this back to the top,

Space is still available.

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Haycock, PA to my place in Troy, NY has some interesting potential using back roads.

Mark

Archived