IGNORED

How difficult is it to remove the front turn signals on an R1200RT?

Joe_Rocket

Hi Gang,

I looked through the owner's manual and it sort-of describes removing the front turn signals but it really isn't clear to me. I'm replacing the orange lenses with the factory clear lenses and I'm hoping someone could give me the steps (assuming that they are as simple as I expecte them to be) on how to remove front turn lenses.

Thanks!

Joe

Assume they are the same as on other bm's. If so, look for a small screw at the rear of the lens.

Here in the US, they were roughly $35 each. Not too terribly bad.

There are two screws that hold the lenses on... unfortunately, it looks like a bunch of plastic needs to be removed to get to them. I can't imagine that the factory made it that difficult.

Does anyone know how to actually get to the lens screws for the front turn signals? Perhaps I need to take a trip down to the BMW dealer and purchase the service CD?

Thanks,

Joe

Hmmmm... you must not have an R1200RT... cause there is only three lens covers :D Each front turn and the rear is just a single cover which houses both left and right turn signals smile.gif

Never even looked at one. My first post mentioned the assumption that they were like the others. Guess I was wrong.

This doesn't really answer your question, but...

coincidentally I had my dealer replace my amber-colored turn signal lenses with the clear ones today. Since that was one of the options that I initially wanted on my R1200RT, the dealer agreed to only charge me for the $35 parts (free labor) when I came in for my 600 mile service. I'm glad I waited for them to do it.

I had considered doing the swap myself, however I was a bit inhibited regarding the front ones.

Now, tomorrow I get to install my new Hyper-Lites. smile.gif

Well...I finally just started digging in, and the job of replacing the front turn signal housings from orange to clear is pretty simple:

1. Remove the mirrors/mirror housings. They simply push out by pressing rearward.

2. Remove the painted plastic trim piece that is on top of the mirror housing. It is held in by the top two torx screws that you see when you remove the mirrors.

3. Remove the large torx screw that you see screwed into a vibration bushing. It has a large silver washer behind it.

4. Remove the small black torx screw that holds on the rearward most edge of the turn signal housing.

5. Look up near the front of the turn signal housing and you will see the front small black torx screw holding the leading edge of the turn signal housing. Remove it through the square access hole. NOTE: DO NOT remove the LARGE torx screw near the front of the housing (closer to the center of the motorcycle)... otherwise you'll just have to screw it back in. The correct torx screw is the same size as the rear one you removed in the previous step.

6. Remove the light bulb assembly by turning 1/8 turn or so counter-clockwise.

7. Now... by pushing on the outside edge of the plastic that surrounds the turn signal assembly and wiggling the turn signal assembly, you can take it out. It requires a bit of playing around, but it will be obvious how it comes out.

8. Remove the electrical connectors from the bulb assembly. The new Orange bulbs WILL NOT fit in the old sockets... they are keyed differently.

9. Replace the old sockets with the new ones that came with the new clear light housings. Simply push the connectors that you removed in step 8 into the new bulb housing.

10. If you want to add mirror lanyards... now is the time to do it (to keep your mirrors attached to the motorcycle in case they pop off). To do this, simply remove the top torx screw that holds on the speaker cover. Slide the lanyard end behind the speaker plastic and re-install the screw.

11. Replace all the screws removed in the previous steps in the reverse order... be careful not to over-tighten.

12. If you attached the mirror lanyard, before you install the mirror, unscrew the small torx screw on the back of the mirror and slide the lanyard BEHIND the plastic and then reinstall the screw.

There you have it... all done.

It took me roughly 45 minutes working slow and with no instructions to complete switching out the orange turn signals with the clear ones. You people with Silver bikes MUST look into the switch... clear lenses sure look sharp on silver bikes.

Joe

You people with Silver bikes MUST look into the switch... clear lenses sure look sharp on silver bikes.

I totally agree with that. To me, they look quite a bit better.

I have a red RT, and I like the clear lenses on it... but not nearly as much as how the silver and gray bikes. There are a couple at the dealership I go to and they are simply stunning. Not sure why so few bikes came from the factory with clear lenses... I suspect that clear must be reserved for Europe or ???

Joe

The clear lenses are standard in South Africa. As are cruise control, chrome exhaust and silver engine spoiler.

What happens is, all the dealers in each country get together at the launch, and have a conference to decide what will be standard equipment and what will be optional. So blame your local dealers.... smile.gif

I'm relatively confident that orange is mandatory when all vehicles are sold in America... and that it wasn't simply a toss of the coin.

I know on my Porsche, orange again was standard, but just like BMW, you could get the clear lenses with orange bulbs.

Joe

The clear lenses are standard in South Africa. As are cruise control, chrome exhaust and silver engine spoiler.

What happens is, all the dealers in each country get together at the launch, and have a conference to decide what will be standard equipment and what will be optional. So blame your local dealers.... smile.gif

I'm relatively confident that orange is mandatory when all vehicles are sold in America... and that it wasn't simply a toss of the coin.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the above statement... my dealer gets in a some '05 RTs with orange/amber lenses and some with clear.

I see clear ones at my dealer also... I always assumed that it was the dealer who took off the orange ones and installed the clear ones. Maybe someone who works for a dealership will speak up here smile.gif

I don't work at a dealership, however I do know this:

Until they swapped my orange for clear a couple of days ago, they had absolutely no prior experience with this procedure in the service dept. Moreover, on their showroom floor, I see ~60% of the '05 RTs delivered with orange lenses (~40% clear).

That pretty much settles that! If I had known that when I bought my RT, I would have asked the dealership to switch the lenses as part of the deal frown.gif

hehe... live and learn.

Joe

Archived