IGNORED

Kaoko throttle control

belezar

H C Edwards

I put one on my GS a week ago. Very nice. Installation took 60 seconds. The only issue I have is that I have large hands, and (especially with gloves on) my hand is touching the Kaoko enough that it wants to keep gradually engaging it, so I find myself having to spin the knob to "off" periodically. No big deal.

I use one, and I really like it. It works well. It is well made -- looks like it is OEM. It has the same weight as the other bar end. All things considered, it is a quality product and I am happy with the purchase.

I've got one on my GS too. It's much easier to operate than the ThrottleMeister. Installation is a snap. Mine was a little tight and hard to operate until I used it a few times. Now it works great, smooth. If you've got a GS, look no further for the best throttle control out there.

Has anyone here who likes theirs used it in winter? I bought a very early one, and maybe this has been remedied, but no matter what I do, I cannot prevent the Kaoko from locking the throttle as soon as I turn on my heated grips. Everything expands and that's it. I can't back it off far enough to prevent the behaviour. I find it very annoying.

--sam

Sam,

Seems odd, hasn't happened to me or others that I know of. I got mine the week it came to the states.

Seems odd, hasn't happened to me or others that I know of. I got mine the week it came to the states.

I got mine when they were still being shipped over by a GS rider in South Africa for folks that asked for one at advrider. There was no official distributor. I believe it was 14-16 months ago. I suspect mine is more of a prototype, although it looks exactly like the production model Mine also has an obnoxious tendency to get locked up if I make the mistake of backing it all the way off. The two metal surfaces bind together and the only fix is a vice and a strap wrench. So not only does mine tend to activate with heat expansion, but I can't back it all the way off, either.

--sam

Sam,

Mine locked up the first time and andrew offered to replace it. I declined as I thought all the new scratch marks went with the GS. Hasn't happened since. It was a problem with the first few.

For those who don't know what this thread is about, here is a link. The Kaoko unit looks like this:

kaoko.jpg

The Kaoko would look fine on a GS, where form follows function. But if aesthetics were the only criterium, I'd reject the Kaoko for my R1150RT. Throttlemeisters look much better.

throttlemeister.jpg

Kaoko are a bit less expensive, too, it would seem. Is that because you only get one piece?

ClearwaterBMW

but,

throttlemeisters go OUTSIDE of the hand guard

and KAOKO's can go INSIDE and THAT is the big deal on a GS

the kaoko is MUCH easier to us on the GS

greg

Has anyone here who likes theirs used it in winter? I bought a very early one, and maybe this has been remedied, but no matter what I do, I cannot prevent the Kaoko from locking the throttle as soon as I turn on my heated grips. Everything expands and that's it. I can't back it off far enough to prevent the behaviour. I find it very annoying.

--sam

Well, it wasn't winter, exactly, but I used my heated grips at least 25 percent of the time I was in Alaska and The Yukon last month, with no ill effects from the Kaoko. I even occasionally used the Kaoko. It did tend to lock a little easier when the grips were hot.

--sam

Sam,

I had this problem before I installed the throttle control. The grip expanded due to the heat, and rubbed against the bar end.To cure it, I put a washer inside the bar end.

When I installed the Kaoko throttle control, I continued to use a washer inside the bar end. I have used this throttle control with the heated grips on, and I have not had a problem.

Try this simple fix.

Archived