IGNORED

Route suggestions Ft. Collins Co to Nashville Ill?

Twisties

There was a ride tale from a solo female rider that made her way up and across the plains eventually to Lolo Pass etc. 'Bout a year ago I'd say, maybe spring/early summer '07. Seem to recall she found some highlights crossing Kansas, or thereabouts, on some back roads.

Ah, here it is.... Rocketbunny rocks the Rockies

Looks like most of the fun stuff was more in AR and OK, a little south for us I'd say.

Come on, where is KCScout, KCShiela, and our other plains dwellers? Give us some help here, wouldya'!

Keep in mind that part of the country is going to be God awful hot in early Aug.

It's pretty much a choice between a northern route without host homes or a run through the heat and home made ice cream at Bud's. I thought you were IN for Bud's?

• 2 months later...

Nothing against KS but I'd I70 it right across KS in August. Drop off I70 to Nashville, IL. Maybe save time for those beautiful back roads in upstate NY on your way to New Hampshire.

I digress here....

Did you know Western NY holds the Grand Canyon of the East? And have you seen Niagra Falls? Antique Boat museum (old, wood, indescribable workmanship, take your breath away) in Clinton NY. Want to see the earliest fastest motorcycle and it's friends in Hammondsport NY at the foot of Keuka Lake? Want to ride around each of the Fingerlakes, stop in at Watkins Glen?

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=12

http://www.abm.org/exhibit-spotlight.asp

http://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/

Yeah, I love upstate NY

Hope you have the ride of your lives

Paul Mihalka

Crossing Kansas, and I've done it a few times, I much prefer the non-interstates that also run east-west. They mostly have a speed limit of 65, NO traffic, no fighting with the wind of the big trucks or sitting behind one passing the other with 1 mph speed difference. Outside of the little one stop sign towns I haven't seen a LEO yet. I have done rt. 50, rt. 156, rt. 56 south of I70 many times from Pueblo to Kansas City many times.

From Fort Collins I would take rt. 34/36 all the way to the Missouri line. I have not ridden it but heard good things about it.

From Fort Collins I would take rt. 34/36 all the way to the Missouri line. I have not ridden it but heard good things about it.

Hi Paul :wave:

There is a spot on Rt 36 at Rt 181 where you can cut north a short ways to the Geographic Center of the Contiguous U.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_Center_of_the_Contiguous_United_States 39°48′38″N 98°33′22″W

Marysville, KS is the home of the Pony Express. There is a little bar in town that serves the best breakfast, just ask someone about it.

HWY 50 in SE KS allows you to see and smell the cattleyards, for miles and miles. There are a couple spots where you can stop and climb an observation platform to see the wagon ruts in the untouched prairie.

I agree the winds, on the wrong day, are strong and tiring on I70.

Paul Mihalka

Hi Kathy :wave:

To avoid the smelly cattleyards of Dodge City, from Garden City you take rt. 156 and rt. 56 to Kansas City. No cattleyards, lots and lots of farm land. You can see the top of a silo from 10 miles away and watch it "grow" as you get nearer. There are some little towns on the way that are good enough for a overnight stay if they are in the right place at the right time. Garden City, Great Bend, McPherson, Emporia, are all good to spend a night. I love small towns - and the motels and restaurants are cheap.

• 1 month later...
grasslander

I posted this earlier for another. Might be useful to you as well:

Ok- If you want a break try this. First you leave Ft. Collins, go south and hook up with I-70 east of Denver. I-70 is a much better route than dealing with the excessive truck traffic on I-80. Burn it on I-70 to Oakley, KS and take US83 south to K4 highway. Maybe go a bit further on I-70 to Wakeeney and take US283 south to K4. Go east on K4 till you get to Topeka. Get back on I-70 and go to St. Louis. Maybe Consider US50 East of KCMO.

K4 is a neat good condition 2 lane road the crosses the heart of the Smokey Hills and the Flint Hills (Largest untouched by plow prairie left). Be sure to stop at the Motorcycle Museum in Marquette and check out the Swedish town of Lindsborg + Coronado Heights west of town. The Flint hills around Alta Vista, Alma, and Eskridge are very nice. Basically, you can ride K4 from just around Scott City to Topeka. K4 meets 1-70 just west of Topeka. Just before you get to the ramp for the 4 lane turn right on 10th Street. You can stop at the Hooters just before Wanamaker Road for a beer and wings.

Now if you feel you need to stay north, go west on US36 to Oberlin. Go south on US83 and pickup K9. K9 travels through interesting high prairie and rolling hills. You can pretty much hang with and meander along K9 all the way to Atchison, KS. You could also take K9 to Beloit (BTW between Downs and Beloit is Cauker City - Home of the worlds largest ball of twine!) and change over to US24 to Manhattan, pick up I-70 or stay with US24 to Topeka. Another option would be once in Manhattan take K18 through to Wabaunsee to K99, South through Alma on K99 to K4, and east through Eskridge on K4 to Topeka. Then you can still have the Beer and Wings on 10th street ;')

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all, at this time the cross country pied piper has decided on a more northerly route, since Bud pulled out.

We'll be running up through Yellowstone and then out to Duluth, through Sault Ste Marie and into Ontario. Then down into the Adirondacks.

Appreciate all your advice.

Archived