IGNORED

Cold Storage questions

Jimmy2Time

I have 99 R1100RT-P. I was out of town over most of the xmas holiday. During that time the weather in the Pacific Northwest was unusually winter-like with temperatures that hovered in the teens for many days. I wonder if I have to be concerned about anything with my bike that was sitting in my garage.

My bike is stored in an unheated garage which is not attached to the house. The gel battery is still in the bike and has a battery tender connected at all times.

I took it out for a ride about 3-4 weeks ago so it really hasn’t been sitting very long. I’m just wondering if there is anything I need to be concerned about; like the battery or anything else when the bike gets that cold.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Other than possible condensation in the fuel, you should be okay. Was the tank full? If not, you might throw in a little stabilizer.

If you are worried about condensation throw in a little sea-foam, it will act as a fuel stabilizer and help absorb any water. It also cleans the injectors, I add a little for every tank.

When you're about to put it up, it's always a good idea to run it and then change the oil. Old oil can contain water and other contaminents that can cause problems over time. Actually, and fluids can do this so it wouldn't hurt to flush anything that's due for a flush before storing. I usually store mine with a full tank to minimize condensation inside the tank and a fuel stabilizer as someone else mentioned is a good idea.

I have 99 R1100RT-P. I was out of town over most of the xmas holiday. During that time the weather in the Pacific Northwest was unusually winter-like with temperatures that hovered in the teens for many days. I wonder if I have to be concerned about anything with my bike that was sitting in my garage.

My bike is stored in an unheated garage which is not attached to the house. The gel battery is still in the bike and has a battery tender connected at all times.

I took it out for a ride about 3-4 weeks ago so it really hasn’t been sitting very long. I’m just wondering if there is anything I need to be concerned about; like the battery or anything else when the bike gets that cold.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

James, shouldn’t be any problems at that temperature.. As long as the battery is charged up it won’t freeze,, any moisture will turn to ice at that temp so unless confined to a non expandable area it won’t cause you any problem.. You are usually better off at a constant low temperature even in the teens than in variable temps with large temperatures swings..

You might want to worry about mice & rodents though.. Not much for them to eat at those temps so they can gnaw at seat upholstery or other things that have a human smell to them,, or they can build nests in the exhaust systems.. Here in Michigan I usually take the seats indoors for winter storage & plug the exhaust off with a rubber cork & if I can get to it plug the air intake off with a soft rubber ball..

It never hurts to put a little Stabil in the fuel for extended storage but that is usually for anything over 3 months or so.. Moisture taken into the fuel tank is pretty much a thing of the past due to the newer bikes having vapor recovery systems that filter the fuel tank venting through absorbent carbon..

Twisty

You can place a plastic bag over the exhaust and intake and secure it with a rubber band to keep the critters out. Just make sure the exhaust is not hot and write a note and tape it over the ignition or the starter button to remind you to take it off before you try and start it.

Dave in Doodah

Are you wanting to go for a ride? When she starts, ride her. If you are gonna store for the winter, then follow these good folks' advice....

GratefulDean

It sounds like you didn't store it for very long. I wouldn't worry. I think fuel stabilizers are necessary only if you plan to store it for longer than a couple of months. I went all last winter without a battery tender and it sat (outside, unfortunately) for at least a month without being started and ran just fine.

I now have a battery tender which I use just about every night.

One note: My neighbors cat did crawl up under my black cover and laid on the seat. If you have a cat you know that when they get cozy they like to kneed their bed. My seat now looks a little bespectacled from her claws. I now cover it with a pad so Ms. Kitty can still have her warm bed and my seat doesn't get trashed.

Archived