IGNORED

The Perfect Motorcycle Camera?

RichEdwards

RichEdwards

I took my trusty Sony Cybershot DSC-F707 with its great Carl Zeiss lens to Alaska, but its large size made it difficult to use. (Stop the bike, open the top case, remove from protective camera case, remove helmet, view thru viewfinder, take picture, reverse this procedure, get back on bike and go---whew!) I needed something smaller and quicker to use. So I went to the best camera expert in my world---my brother. He is totally anal when it comes to photography and does extensive research. He recommended this:

31359223-M.jpg

31359288-M.jpg

I said, "Casio---I love the watches, but a camera?" He referred me to Ken Rockwell, who does some of the best camera reviews available on the web. Here's his review of the Casio EXZ750:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/casio/exz750.htm

I have the camera and I love it.

1) Small. Easily fits in any pocket.

2) Super big, super bright LCD screen. Can be viewed clearly with the sun hitting the screen directly.

3) Excellent lens.

4) 7.2 megapixels & about $365, takes inexpensive SD memory cards.

Now I can stop the bike, remove the camera from my jacket pocket, compose the image on the screen with my helmet still on my bald head, and take the picture. thumbsup.gif

ClearwaterBMW

that IS a nice camera

i miss the lack of depth of field that one gets with a digital SLR.... but the convenience and quality win out in the end.

in an ideal world, one would have THIS camera for most photos but keep a digital SLR... like the canon 20D in the case for "artistic" shots and when more setup time was available, like shots at the end of the day, when the riding was over

greg

RichEdwards

As long as a camera has a manual settings option, the photographer can set it for maximum or minimum depth of field (which is based on the aperture setting---small opening equals great depth of field; large opening equals shallow depth of field). This Casio does have the option of switching to 'manual exposure mode' which gives you control of the depth of field. Nothing beats a DSLR for composing pictures, but this is an excellent compromise.

ClearwaterBMW

well only slr's allow you to buy expensive fast glass... the point and shoot stuff limits the short end of the aperture spectrum yielding truly isolated subjects difficult to achieve at best..... but to chronicle a trip, they are the best. i usually carry my 2 year old Sony DSC-V1... it is pretty good.

frontview-001.jpg

your choice allows you to compose the picture with your helmet on/as you said

this is STILL my preferred camera

frontview-001.jpg

greg

RussInParis

We purchased a Casio QV-R4 at least two years ago now, and have been very impressed. We also wanted something strong and sturdy, and the QV-R4 fit the bill.

At first we thought Casio was a strange brand name to appear on a digital camera, but we've been quite impressed.

Doesn't compare to a DSLR, but packs WAY better, and doesn't attract near as much attention.

Russ

RichEdwards

SLR's are great, but I have already given my 2 Nikon F-2 (35mm film) bodies and 10 assorted Nikon lenses to my sons. I found they were collecting dust. Now they get used to take pictures of my grandchildren. A camera must be used to be useful. My little Casio will travel everywhere with me.

ClearwaterBMW

rich

i hope you will bring it to our mount dora ride...

i would love to see that camera up close

i will bring my sony as well

we can both post our pics

greg

Global_Rider

Very nice camera, BUT...

It doesn't have a wide angle lens for panoramas. Important if you use the camera for motorcycle touring.

Does it have a remote shutter release?

It doesn't take RAW or TIFF.

Can you select 3:2 format?

(according to DP Review, you can, but none of DP Review's numbers match that ratio)

The reasons I bought an Olympus C-5060.

BTW, I find DP Review a lot easier to read. All the specs at a glance.

Archived