IGNORED

FOLLOW UP: 2000 RT ABSII FAILURE PATTERN

Dean

Background...55k miles, all mine. Beginning in May 08, ABS failes (alternating lights) upon every third roll off. Resets as advertised by grounding "center" pin per instructions provided by you all. Battery new, wheel speed sensors wires and spacing good.

Finally...yesterday the W PA weather cooperated and I had opportunity to put some miles on the bike. Twisty suggested pulling the fault codes to find the reason for the fault. (I had previously reset the ABS so was in "no fault" mode). As per this seasons pattern, the ABS faulted on third roll off. Headed home and put an analog volt meter between center pin and ground. Turned the key, got 7 dips. ABS Control Unit.

The good news is that now I know which unit is causing the faults. The bad news is that I don't know where to go form here. I don't know where the unit is located on the chassis. First instinct suggests that I check electrical connections for corrosion. Can someone guide me to the unit?

Additional info...I had the brake fluid changed just days prior to initial failure last spring. The front brake hasn't felt quite as "crisp" since then. Would air in the system cause the abs not to initialize? Also, on a good roll off, I hear that reassuring "ka-ching" telling me all is well. When the system fails I just hear the "ka" part. No "ching".

Is it time to put the black electrical tape on the lights?

I finally brought mine into the dealer and in a couple of minutes the tech told me it was just a switch. Keep it simple first, before you spend big dollars.

Just for fun....check the relays under the seat. There is one for the turn signals, and one for the ABS flashing lights, mine was loose, not seated all the way in and gave me the same symptoms. Pull it out and reseat it firmly. Hope this works. If the relay is bad, swap it with the turn signal relay for testing.

Thanks Boone60...do you happen to recall which switch?

Part number: 34522331289 BM PM1 Trigger Contact $143.42 on 7/21/08

I'd have the codes checked to make sure this is the part before replacing.

Part number: 34522331289 BM PM1 Trigger Contact $143.42 on 7/21/08

I'd have the codes checked to make sure this is the part before replacing.

This is the speed sensor. The OP stated that the sensors had already been checked, and that the fault code was for the ABS unit.

Thanks for responding Boone60, resistence on both speed sensors was 124 ohms. I pulled the front sensor and wire, streched and twisted to try to find a break to no avail. I pulled the code (7) which points to the control unit. Also to GordonB, the relay "ticks" as it always did. I removed and replaced it to insure that it was properly seated. The part number is different from the other relays in that box...are they interchangable?

By the way, called my dealer today to make an appointment, the owner answered and said that his techs were on holiday this week but stated that he can remember replacing only a couple of control units since 1999. I do not want to be the third!

Still digging and hoping for direction from you all... because all of us are more powerful that one of us.

I think the lack of responses is due to no one having any suggestions because it unfortunately does sound like the ABS module might be bad, uncommon though that is. But if worse comes to worse you can usually find good ABS modules on the used market fairly easily and at a huge discount from the new price.

Thank you sir. Many were probably thinking the same thing but you had the courage to put me out of my misery. I plan on having a tech at the dealership take a final crack at it and issue a "death certificate", then take your advice on locating a pre-enjoyed control unit.

There is currently one (at least) available on EBay. EBay Link The pump/control unit sits under the front of the tank. I have had mine loose, but have never removed it. Before I bought one, I would certainly check all of the electical connections.

Archived