IGNORED

gas cap hinge

billdamico

the gas cap broke off my 2003 R1150RT on a trip east from california, at the hinge right at the edge of the flat central disk of the cap. This happened about 100 miles into an 1100 mile day (I just put loose cap over the fill hole and secured tankbag over it for the remaining 1000 miles).

I've removed the entire gas cap assembly from the bike (not riding, bike in garage) and am attempting to fix with jB weld for trip back to CA. I don't like the idea of riding with an insecure gas cap (held put by tankbag, but not sealed, so gas would leak if bike were horizontal). I hope the JB weld works.

Bike is 30 months and 49000 miles away from new. When I return to CA I'm going to see if I can't get BMW to comp parts to fix it right, even though it is out of warrantee. This seems to me to be a safety issue that would make it easy for them to comp me parts.

Has anyone else had problems with their gas cap?

First, welcome to the board! In the few years I've been hanging out here I've can only recall one other incident. So given the number of bikes out there I'd say it is exceedingly rare.

thanks for the welcome. I posted when I joined concerning music options, then have lurked occasionally. Had some things to post about again.

I've got to wonder why my hinge failed. Nothing extraordinary about its use, just open/close to fill tank over time.

Stan Walker

I've got to wonder why my hinge failed.

It's probably those darn California gas pump hoses where you have to hold the foreskin back to get the gas to flow. They are big, awkward, and if you are not paying attention it's easy to exert force on the gas cap while using them.

Stan

When I bought my 2003 R1150RT-P (police bike) used early this spring, I noticed the outer metal on the cap was bent, causing it to stick up on the front and not look too swift. My assumption is that whoever was filling the bike up would point the gas nozzle forward, which would cause it to lean on the cap/hinge. Being real picky about that kind of minor thing, I took the cap completely apart, and after several VERY careful attempts, was able to bend the metal flat again. Had to be careful since it appears to be cast metal, so it could have broken easily. All is well now, and I'm very careful not to lean on it when refueling...

DavidEBSmith

Bike is 30 months and 49000 miles away from new. When I return to CA I'm going to see if I can't get BMW to comp parts to fix it right, even though it is out of warrantee. This seems to me to be a safety issue that would make it easy for them to comp me parts.

They'll comp you parts when pigs fly.

I took an out of warranty bike to Cal-BMW with the exact same problem and they bolted a new one in place without a second thought and didn't charge me a penny. They even insisted on turning the wrench, even though I was happy to do it myself.

--sam

FWIW, my girlfriend's 2004 R1200C gas cap hinge also just broke about two weeks ago. The bike is still under warranty and A&S replaced it. Ginger asked the mechanic about the hinge and if she was doing anything wrong when filling the tank. He said probably not, the cap hinge is poorly designed and they have had few break under normal usage.

I took an out of warranty bike to Cal-BMW with the exact same problem and they bolted a new one in place without a second thought and didn't charge me a penny. They even insisted on turning the wrench, even though I was happy to do it myself.

--sam

Sounds good! JB weld seems to be holding on the 2nd go round (had excess JB weld keeping it from opening woes). I'll try SJBMW when I get back to CA, see what they do for me.

There's a flying pig in Monty's log cabin in Felton, CA for those that want to see a pig fly wink.gif

JB weld didn't stand the strain of closing cap on bike, force from the latch and seal broke the bond.

So I've got 3000 miles of less than positive gas tank seal ahead of me. Sigh.

Well, the part can't be THAT expensive. Dealers will usually have it in stock. There must be a dealer somewhere in that 3,000 miles. I'd be very nervous of the effect of a crash. Gas WILL spill, and it could easily be ignited. A simple lowside could turn into a catastrophe.

--sam

JB weld didn't stand the strain of closing cap on bike, force from the latch and seal broke the bond.

So I've got 3000 miles of less than positive gas tank seal ahead of me. Sigh.

Gas has all sorts of nasties in it, as well as fire it will burn you chemically. If gas runs out of the tank on the ride, it will end up in your lap. To avoid chemical burns to the familly jewels get it fixed.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Archived