IGNORED

Speedometer

Adventure Rick

Adventure Rick

Okay, I'm a new to the 2-wheeled beemers, so hopefully this won't sound colossally stupid, but...

I purchased a 98' R1100RT-P (ex-CHP bike) and the speedometer is off by about 10% (it reads high). I have verified this with a GPS. I have the right sized tire, so are there different gear sets that can be installed (like the diff on a truck), or is the problem in probably being a wrong speedometer installed?...or neither?!

Hmmm that's interesting since duty bikes have been reported to have calibrated speedos...

Most BMW speedos are optimsic by design. Don't worry about it. Use your GPS for all your computations if so inclined to do such things.

Enjoy the bike!

There is no known way (like a gear set change) to tweak the speedo. As mentioned BMW speedos are legendary for being off. Caulk it up to TADT and ride on.

Okay, I'm a new to the 2-wheeled beemers, so hopefully this won't sound colossally stupid, but...

I purchased a 98' R1100RT-P (ex-CHP bike) and the speedometer is off by about 10% (it reads high). I have verified this with a GPS. I have the right sized tire, so are there different gear sets that can be installed (like the diff on a truck), or is the problem in probably being a wrong speedometer installed?...or neither?!

I also have a 1998 rt/p that had a recall by BMWNA on the speedo.At about 12k it became a new calibrated speedo.The highway authority complained about inaccurate speeds on the clock and bmw recalled them.Maybee yours didn't make the recall.

That matches what I have noticed on my RT as well, but I don't have the -P version, just a standard RT. I tend to use the GPS speed as my reference point these days and pretty much ignore the speedo. It does beg the question about how accurate the odometer is though if the speedo is off.

Wayne

The authority speedo only goes up to 120mph the civi tops out at 150mph?. IF The speedo isn't screaming or the needle isn't bouncing and it is the civilian then yours is normal.

Archived