IGNORED

Cam Tensioner

jjohnson24

Over on the GS side ( ADVRIDER) there is a lot of talk on replacing the left side cam chain tensioner. Is this a need to do or a nice to do? I don't notice it on my '98 RT. What's the pulse on this?

Actual failures are quite rare. If it does have a problem it's quite noticeable by the racket it makes. Just more paranoia out there IMHO.

With engine warmed up and and running at less than 2000 RPM, does your left cylinder emit a knocking sound just like your uncle's Bonneville before he had the rod bearings replaced? No? then a cam chain tensioner is not for you. Besides, the updated LCCT with an internal spring is not being sold anymore, and nobody knows why. There is a newer tensioner body that replaces the standard one, but it doesn't do a thing to reduce chain slap.

Specifically, here are the part numbers:

1) Original LCCT body: 11 31 1 341 137

2) Enhanced: 11 31 2 325 563 (kit, about $200, works great, cannot be found anymore)

3) New body: 11 31 7 671 723 (cheap but does not help with noises)

Wouldn't you like your BMW more if the company were more forthcoming with technical information?

So does the fact that my bike (a gs) DOES make a horrible knocking sound at low revs mean that I have an imminent problem? I am about to leave on long road trip, but I have no interest in being stranded. It is definitely abnormal and I've been wondering about it for a while. Valve adjustment is fine. It is particularly noticeable sometimes when I slow to a stop at a traffic light. It will make a loud knocking sound for as much as 10-15 seconds before quieting down a bit (but not all the way).

Up until now, i've fixed the problem by wearing earplugs. Actually, I have been second guessing myself on whether it is a problem precisely because I ride without earplugs so rarely. I wasn't sure if I was imagining things.

If there is a problem, is it a quickie fix, or several days in the shop? How about home repair?

--sam

So does the fact that my bike (a gs) DOES make a horrible knocking sound at low revs mean that I have an imminent problem?

Sam, you would definitely be a candidate for the enhanced LCCT, if you could find one. However, there is no proof that the knocking sound does any damage to the engine. I would have expected to read reports of broken chain guides, but I have not heard of any. In fact, there is a chance that the enhanced tensioner might cause more rail wear from the greater force that it applies to the rail. This is where a bit of information from BMW would make my boxer a lot more satisfying to me. Idem regarding spline lube, FD crown bearings, assisted ABS III, etc.

Sam, you would definitely be a candidate for the enhanced LCCT, if you could find one. However, there is no proof that the knocking sound does any damage to the engine.

That's what I wanted to hear. I was hoping that was the case, but don't have the expertise to make the call by myself. It is going to make selling the bike a bit of a pain in the neck next summer, though.

--sam

Archived