IGNORED

Zumo 550 mount for 08 R1200RT

frank murphy

Santa brought me a zumo 550 and I have been trying to figure a way to mount this to my BMW accessory plate. I have read a number of postings but can't quite figure out how to mount it. The unit came with a windshield mount for the car as well as a handlebar mount for the cycle (does not fit the RT bar).

The factory supplied cradle and arm will work with RAM mounts. Just get the base you want and attach the OEM parts to the ball. I mounted mine to a base that screws to the handlebar riser.

RCB-CHB-HDW+MIR ($25.50)

Exclusive Handlebar Bolt Base fits any R1100RT/R1150RT/R1200RT and pre-1997 R1100R, and pre-2006 Yamaha FJR1300. Includes RAM-11M.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM/ram.asp?prod=RAM-QUEST

Santa brought me a zumo 550 and I have been trying to figure a way to mount this to my BMW accessory plate. I have read a number of postings but can't quite figure out how to mount it. The unit came with a windshield mount for the car as well as a handlebar mount for the cycle (does not fit the RT bar).

Frank, you have quite a few options.. On the 1200RT it somewhat depends on how tall your upper body is & if you use a tank bag..

If you don’t use a tank bag then about any of the 1” ball mounts on a short arm will work if placed on the correct handlebar bolt..

If you are fairly short in the upper body & you use a tank bag then you have to watch how flat the 1” ball & arm mounts or you won’t be able to see the GPS over the tank bag..

Two 1” ball/arm mounts that seem to work real good on the 1200RT are the (RAM-9M) about $18.00 & the (RCB-CHB-HDW+MIR) about $25.00..

The (RCB-CHB-HDW+MIR) is a flat lever arm that mounts the GPS lower & also makes it more difficult to reach the ignition key.. The (RAM-9M) is an angled lever/arm so lifts the GPS slightly higher & also makes getting to the ignition key easier..

On either of the above 1” ball arms you will need a longer handlebar attaching bolt & a short spacer to elevate the ball arm above the handlebar itself or it will permanently disfigure the handlebar.. The cap screw needed is a stainless steel 8 x 1.25 with the length being determined by the spacer length + the ball arm thickness (try the BMW or Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer for a proper length bolt..

On my personal bike I made my spacer from ½” od stainless steel rod that I drilled the center out to 8.5mm on my lathe but have just used a piece of 3/8 brass pipe cut to the correct length for the installations other people’s bikes (works real good & you can’t see it anyway).. You don’t want to use anything that will rust so use a non ferrous spacer with a stainless steel bolt..

Obviously you can mount the GPS about anywhere-- like on a brake or clutch reservoir cover,, or high on the center of the dash,, etc..

I have found that mounting it low & centered on the handlebar has some advantages.. First being that it is pretty well shielded from direct sunlight from the rear by the rider so can be seen in about any sunlight direction & intensity..

Next,, it is mounted to a solid central mount so there is absolutely no vibration..

Next it is right in the low center of sight line so can be read as easily as the speedometer.. Probably the most important is with the low center mount you can just drop your helmet over the entire GPS & mount when stopped for short times so the GPS is entirely out of sight (don’t have to continually remove it at rest stops or to quickly run into a store)..

On my personal installations I also add a small Metri-Pack plug in the GPS base mount wire about 10” from the GPS base itself.. That allows the GPS (including the entire base) to be quickly removed at venerable parking areas (like bike shows or sports events).. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that if the bike has a GPS mount on the bike that there must be a GPS hidden on the bike somewhere.. In fact I even have a Ram Mount coffee cup holder to install on the exposed ball when I leave the bike overnight in a bad area or long term parking so it doesn’t look like the remaining ball is a GPS mount ball..

The picture shown is the angled (RAM-9M) mounted on an 1150RT (sorry I don’t have a picture of the (RAM-9M) on my 1200RT.. Really not much difference in the mounting as the bars are about the same..

RAM-9M.jpg

Twisty

Thanks, Hopz, I don’t need any help (well at least that I know of anyhow).. I have been a member of the zumoforums.com for quite a while now.. I have owned a Zumo since V 2.10 so have been through a lot of changes with most of the known issues..

Actually this BMW site (bmwsporttouring.com) seems to be better on the BMW R bike related mounting issues with the zumoforums.com obviously being better with Zumo functionality issues..

Twisty

There are a surprising number of BMW riders over there and quite a few who are not quite cool enough to be on this forum too. :grin:

Aside from mounting ideas, which there are a lot of on the Installation Info sub-forum... it is always good for the new guys to to know the Zumo forum is there.

And thanks for all the help you give here. good to have your expertise on call.

edit to add my snaps of my installation:

1382491569_55d2c8e267_b.jpg

Fightingpiper

I mount mine on the Left clutch resivoir. I like this position because it is easy to reach. I can use the Zumo without moving my body position or having to lean forward. Its also pretty easy to see. I tried it mounted on a shelf abouve the instuments but I didn't like having to reach everytime I want to use the Zumo. I also always use my Tank bag so mounting it between the handlebars wouldn't work as it was blocked or when raised up enough blocked the gauges. Also not fun to have to reach over the tank bag while adjusting...

enjoy you new toy.

399177814_jASo2-L.jpg

There are a surprising number of BMW riders over there and quite a few who are not quite cool enough to be on this forum too. :grin:

Aside from mounting ideas, which there are a lot of on the Installation Info sub-forum... it is always good for the new guys to to know the Zumo forum is there.

And thanks for all the help you give here. good to have your expertise on call.

edit to add my snaps of my installation:

1382491569_55d2c8e267_b.jpg

I just got done mounting my 2730 the same way. It worked out well on my 97 RT for the zumo, so I figured it should be good for the 2730 on the 05 RT.

Not to promote my little CNC project as better than any of the other suggestions....

Just to say I make a couple every now and then when the lathe is free.

Doesn't require any modifications, can transfer to any RT from '96 onwards, is totally secure, custom made from 6061T6 billet aluminum on a CNC card lathe and polished to match the handlebar finish.

http://gallery.mac.com/jkwinchester1#100037&bgcolor=black&view=grid

PM me if you think you might like one...

Jim

Nice n Easy Rider
Not to promote my little CNC project as better than any of the other suggestions....

Just to say I make a couple every now and then when the lathe is free.

Doesn't require any modifications, can transfer to any RT from '96 onwards, is totally secure, custom made from 6061T6 billet aluminum on a CNC card lathe and polished to match the handlebar finish.

http://gallery.mac.com/jkwinchester1#100037&bgcolor=black&view=grid

PM me if you think you might like one...

Jim

Jim,

Is it safe to assume that your setup will not work well with a tank bag?

Actually George I use my tank bag infrequently...to be honest. But since there is always the possibility of a 'longer' trip and the use of the BMW tankbag...I bought the Ram 3" 'double 1" socket arm', ( part # B-201U, cost $9.90 ) for just those occasions. It raises the position of the Garmin just enough for a short legged guy like me, ( 5' 9" on a good day...), to be able to see the screen over the 'stuffed' tankbag.

I use the 'standard' 1.75" arm ( part # B-201U-A, same price ), almost all the time, it keeps the unit tucked down nice and neat between the bars...

Ram also makes a 5" arm but it puts the Garmin high enough to block the lower portion of the gauges, and that bugs me...so I never use it.

I supply the Ram 1" ball with the base but not the arm since I guess everyone has their own preferences.

Jim

I've had jakfrost's mount on my '05 RT (mated to a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS) for about two years now. Couldn't be more pleased. :thumbsup:

Routinely ride with a OEM BMW Tank Bag; have no challenge seeing over it to view the GPS (I'm 6',1' tall & ride with seat in the lower position).

Great product!!

Okay guys, I've got my mounting figured out,(going with the bmw shelf and the 3" double ram.) It'll put the unit in my direct vision without interrupting my vision thru the shield.

Next question - I want to wire it direct to the battery with the supplied garmin wire and fuse but I would like to avoid having to take the tupperware off. Is this possible?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Frank... first, taking the tupperware off is as simple as a small set of screws. If you are being reluctant to take it off for fear of some complicated re-installation never fear. It is easy.

Yes, you can go to the battery direct, but there is a plug under the headstock of your bike that is switched power, designed for a GPS. The mate for that plug is easily available and that is perhaps the best place to get power. (note: my last comment is full of personal opinion... others will tell you the battery is best. Put it where you want it.)

As for getting the wire to the battery without removing the tupperware... it may be possible but you will run the risk of dislodging factory wires when you go blindly poking around under there. Far easier to just take the tank piece off, then the upper tupperware... easy peasy.

Frank... first, taking the tupperware off is as simple as a small set of screws. If you are being reluctant to take it off for fear of some complicated re-installation never fear. It is easy.

Yes, you can go to the battery direct, but there is a plug under the headstock of your bike that is switched power, designed for a GPS. The mate for that plug is easily available and that is perhaps the best place to get power. (note: my last comment is full of personal opinion... others will tell you the battery is best. Put it where you want it.)

As for getting the wire to the battery without removing the tupperware... it may be possible but you will run the risk of dislodging factory wires when you go blindly poking around under there. Far easier to just take the tank piece off, then the upper tupperware... easy peasy.

Frank - I support Hopz's recommendations. Take the plastic and tank off - you then have full access to the frame of the bike and route to your heart's desire in a clean and controlled manner.

Another thing you may want to do - at this stage - is also install a fuse panel, i use a centech. It was a very handy installation for getting power to other (future :thumbsup:) accesories without triggering the ZFE module.

Good luck with your project.

By the way I mounted my 550 using a gadgetguy mount - very well built - www.gadgetguy.net

DSC03601.jpg

I mount mine on the Left clutch resivoir. I like this position because it is easy to reach. I can use the Zumo without moving my body position or having to lean forward. Its also pretty easy to see. I tried it mounted on a shelf abouve the instuments but I didn't like having to reach everytime I want to use the Zumo. I also always use my Tank bag so mounting it between the handlebars wouldn't work as it was blocked or when raised up enough blocked the gauges. Also not fun to have to reach over the tank bag while adjusting...

enjoy you new toy.

399177814_jASo2-L.jpg

I've never seen a mount like that. I want one. Where can I buy one? Thanks.

here is another idea. I have this Migsel mount and I am very happy with it. Had it first on a Ram mount from the handlebar bolts, but it did not work with the tankbag.

This is a good set up and I received the parts in a few days from overseas, no problem whatsoever.

I have no affiliation to the Migsel supplier just a happy customer.

http://www.migsel.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=13

here is another idea. I have this Migsel mount and I am very happy with it.

Ditto. I will add that Cycle Gadgets is one of the US distributors, so you don't have to order it from the UK (although, I did on my older '04 RT version).

I tried mounting my GPS on the handlebars, but it always just seemed to be in the way. Especially with a tank bag. I like it much better up and in my line of sight.

Wayne

Anybody have a picture of the Migsel Mount installed with Garmin attached? It looks like a very clean setup. I'm passing the cold wet nights building an accessory shelf for my EZ Pass and navigator. My first chance to try my hand at TIG welding thin aluminum. Harder than it looks (of course), but at least my sloppy weld will be hidden.

Thanks

Bruch

Here is the Migsel w/just a Garmin 2820...

picture-24.jpg

picture-23.jpg

and slightly loaded up...(mediocre pic)

IMG_0027.jpg

Got almost 20k miles with the Migsel.

• 2 months later...

I just received and installed Jakfrost's CNC project mount and couldn't be happier. I'm using my Garmin C340 with the 1 inch RAM arm and it works great.

I mounted mine on the left handlebar next to the clutch resiveur.I had to go to Ace Hardwear and buy a longer U bolt to go around the odd shape of the BMW handlebar.A small ammount of rubber tubeing to keep from scratching the paint,and after 4000 miles it has not moved.If I can figgure out how to post a picture I'll do that also.Total cost .21 cents.

Mexico Vic

07RT

Maylene,Al

Gkgeiger - Just curious, what is the white, plastic ring for on the left side of the mount? As one would expect, the BMW Zumo 550 mount also accepts a "normal" Zumo 550. Rick

That plastic ring started out being a holder for a Cig lighter recepticle, but now I use it to hold my FM transmitter for my Zumo. I hope to get the Zumo hard wired to my Aux. port soon.

Gkgeiger - Just curious, what is the white, plastic ring for on the left side of the mount? As one would expect, the BMW Zumo 550 mount also accepts a "normal" Zumo 550. Rick

First.........I want your plate (sheboygan here)!

Second...looks like a cable wrap.

Or...you could consider this location, vibration free, no modification req'd, and accepts anything with a 1" Ram mount connection.

I have a couple on my bench if you would like one...times are slow at work these days so I am a couple ahead of requests :)

Mount for RT's...

Jim

• 2 months later...

I just installed Jakfrost's Ram mount. VERY well made and I'd highly recommend them. Just try to find one unhappy user on this board! :)

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Dear Jack

This is the most practical mount I have seen thus far. Is it possible to order one from you? Please let me know on francoisjstrauss@yahoo.co.uk

Warm regards!

Francois

I just installed Jakfrost's Ram mount. VERY well made and I'd highly recommend them. Just try to find one unhappy user on this board! :)

I have this mount also. Works great. But now I want a tank bag and I fear I won't be able to see it.

• 2 months later...

Archived