IGNORED

Should I have the FD fluid changed on a 12,000 mile.

Dave_W

Two thoughts -

1 - Do it your self

2 - Get Help on your first go 'round.

Now, the BEST part!!!!! All of the above are available in your neighborhood!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a pictorial with, selfishly speaking, some great info on the topic - LINKY

And here is the "in the neighborhood" part - TECH DAY

Now, to answer your question - Yes!!!!! Change it. 600, 6000, 12000, and every 12000 thereafter is my regimen.

Hope this helps!!!

Two thoughts -

1 - Do it your self

2 - Get Help on your first go 'round.

Now, the BEST part!!!!! All of the above are available in your neighborhood!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a pictorial with, selfishly speaking, some great info on the topic - LINKY

And here is the "in the neighborhood" part - TECH DAY

Now, to answer your question - Yes!!!!! Change it. 600, 6000, 12000, and every 12000 thereafter is my regimen.

Hope this helps!!!

I'm doing the regimen Phil suggests. We have two. At 12,000 one was clean as can be, the other had a fair amount of metal on the magnets. We'll see about 24,000 this spring. If you get two good clean changes in a row you could probably extend the interval to 24,000 if you really feel so inclined, since BMW only requires the one at 600 miles.

I've spoken with several BMW mechanics at different dealerships and they unanimously say to change every 12,000 miles. I didn't get to mine until 18,000 miles, but the oil was very clean. I'll be changing every 12,000 from now on.

Absolutely... Cheap insurance.. Every 12K ..... If you want to do it yourself, there are great "how tos". If not, have the dealer do it at each 12K service.

I change mine at every oil change.

Kinda crazy I know. Ten minute job, a quart will do almost five changes.

Ride safely

Terry

I do the same thing - for the effort and cost it is a no-brainer

I did mine at 15,000 miles, and the oil had a foul, burnt smell to it and it was pitch black. That convinced me that routine final drive oil changes probably should be done. And doing it was really no big deal.

Dave

I do mine at 12K mile intervals and DON'T FORGET TO GREASE YOUR SPLINES AS WELL. At 12K and 24K miles the splines definitely needed grease. They were quite dry. The 36K service is coming up in 3K miles and I don't expect it to be any different.

Dave

I do mine at 12K mile intervals and DON'T FORGET TO GREASE YOUR SPLINES AS WELL. At 12K and 24K miles the splines definitely needed grease. They were quite dry. The 36K service is coming up in 3K miles and I don't expect it to be any different.

Excellent point for all, especially on the newer style drives that do not require the drive end to be dropped to drain.

Archived