IGNORED

Which Camelback is best?

ClearwaterBMW

If I am using my BMW tank bag, I prefer just the naked bladder placed inside the tank bag.

Since I do not like riding with a pack on my back, I have found that the Camelbak "Unbottle 70" works very well for me. This unit is designed to be mounted to a backpack. I run a strap through and around the top set of loops in the Camelbak then through a bungee buddie mounted on the top front of my saddlebag. I then run a strap throught the bottom set of loops on the Camelbak and shut the saddlebag lid to trap the strap buckle. Works great and allows a Camelbak for me and the missus when 2-up.

I use the classic, it holds 70oz and is pretty low-profile. It has only one pocket [which adds to the non-bulky-ness].

p1692293reg.jpg

Most of the time, I hardly know its there.

ClearwaterBMW

will they fit over most jackets....

or do some folks where them INSIDE their jackets....

that's probably the dumbest question i've ever asked

sorry in advance

greg

That would be yes [i wear it outside my jacket]...

and yes [i've seen some wear it on the inside too]...

I've ripped a raincoat wearing it one the inside of it though dopeslap.gif Guess it depends whether or not it is comfortable on the inside tongue.gif

The ony dumb question is the one not asked!

sorry in advance

greg

Some are made to be worn under a cyclist jersey. These are the road racer streamlined types. These would also work well under a jacket. Downside is the extra steps necessary to refill. Upside is that the Camelbak can help keep you cool.

George Brown
I use the classic, it holds 70oz and is pretty low-profile. It has only one pocket [which adds to the non-bulky-ness].

p1692293reg.jpg

Most of the time, I hardly know its there.

This is what I wear inside my jacket and I also hardly know its there. Never tried it on the outside.

Originally, I used a Platapus, but the bite valve kept coming off while on my cross country trip in 2001. A couple of times I was able to catch it or find it on the road by following the water trail. The final time was on I-90 around Sundance, WY and there was no way I was going to be able to find it.

When I couldn't get a replacement bite valve on the road, I purchased the camelback. After returning home, I bought a couple replacement bite valves but have never had one come off the camelback.

Also, I have only used it with water. Camelback makes a cleaning kit, which is I like. The other thing I like about the Camelback vs Platapus is it has a larger fill opening.

Les is more

I use the Hydrobak which holds 1.5 liters.

The bladder is small enough to fit in my tankbag with all of by other junk. The size lasts tank to tank which is how often I tend to stop and it weighs a pound less than the 70 oz. models. When I wear it, it goes on the inside if the weather's hot because I load it up with ice and water and it helps keep me cool. The ice lasts longer too when covered by my jacket. In cooler weather it goes on the outside. If you put the icy bladder without the pack in your tank bag, insulate it from your belongings because it will sweat and get everything damp.

I love the wide mouth on the new models because you can go to the soft drink machines in the mini marts and load them with ice right from the dispenser (after asking politely, of course). When the weather is cooking, most store owners don't mind.

I use a fanny pack version strapped around my tankbag: allows me to use the tankbag for storing stuff, I can use it when off the bike and I don't have it encumbering me while on the bike. Most of the time the reduced capacity isn't a problem, in that if it's hot enough I need more water than it holds in between my normal 2-3 hour stops, I usually don't mind stopping more frequently anyway.

IMG_0967.jpg

I use a 50 oz. Camelback bladder which fits perfectly in either large mid-front outside pockets of a Derien jacket. Filled with lots of ice and some water, it helps to keep you cool as well as suppling cold water for about 4-5 hours.

Brian

DangerMoney

I use the Chicane Hydration Bladder. It's square so it fits well in the bottom of my tank bag unlike to relatively long and narrow Camelbak bladders. It's meant to ride in their so it comes with a long hose so you can drink while riding and keeps the weight off you. It also has a wide mouth so you can dump ice cubes in it. Same construction/color/fittings as a Camelbak (my wife and I have several genuine Camelbaks from our hiking/bicycling/running activities).

ClearwaterBMW

thanks to EVERYONE who helped answered my questions. i really appreciate it. i'm also glad that my inside or outside (of the jacket) question wasn't that dumb afterall.

greg

I've found wearing the camelback on the outside on a hot day seems to restrict airflow through my mesh jacket. Inside, the air movement is noticeably better.

Leslie said, "I love the wide mouth on the new models because you can go to the soft drink machines in the mini marts and load them with ice right from the dispenser (after asking politely, of course). When the weather is cooking, most store owners don't mind."

And I agree! Traveling to Ohio this past month, I filled it with ice ONLY. It kept me nice and cool!! But, WARNING...If hot outside, BLOW into the mouth piece until you hear/feel the air in the bladder, this way you don't get a mouthful of HOT water. (don't ask) tongue.gif

Also, when the ice is gone, time to stop.

Hope no one will mind if I divert the thread slightly to ask a related question:

Can you fit the Camelbak (or other brand) mouthpieces inside the chin bar of a full face helmet while riding? I'm sure this can't be done with a Schuberth that has the under-chin padding, but what about say, an HJC or a Shoei?

Or do does a camel imitating rider need to have a flip face or a 3/4 to drink on the fly?

Also, does anybody put a camelbak inside the breast pocket of a Roadcrafter?

As always, muchas gracias! smile.gif

currently own and use the Rogue. larger w/ some pockets. use it mainly for long bike rides when we don't want to stop like century's, etc. very handy for mountain biking as well. do not have to remove hands from bars to drink. going to use it on trip to road atlanta. figure a sip every now and then will be a treat.

ShovelStrokeEd

No problem, you have to kinda slide the bite valve up in there sideways and re-orient the actual bite vavle a bit then you put it in the corner of your mouth and kinda get it with the caninies instead of the incisors. I use mine all the time with my Shoei X-11

anyway you bite it....it's easier than a water bottle! grin.gif (think this is my 500th post...who wudda thunk it is about a camelback!)

Hope no one will mind if I divert the thread slightly to ask a related question:

Can you fit the Camelbak (or other brand) mouthpieces inside the chin bar of a full face helmet while riding? I'm sure this can't be done with a Schuberth that has the under-chin padding, but what about say, an HJC or a Shoei?

Or do does a camel imitating rider need to have a flip face or a 3/4 to drink on the fly?

Also, does anybody put a camelbak inside the breast pocket of a Roadcrafter?

As always, muchas gracias! smile.gif

The Camelbak right angle valve works fine in my Schuberth C2. I pop the visor open slightly and slide the valve in. If I remove the velcroed wind barrier at the bottom of the chin piece, then I can slid the valve in from the bottom.

I always slid the valve in from the bottom on my Arai RX7 RR4.

Plenty of room in both helmets.

Les is more

Aerostich has a 90 degree bite valve with a profile that's more squat than the the original. I find that it's easier to use with the full face helmet. I also like the positive closure of the ball valve. Here it is.

I have no problem gettting the 90 up into the helmet. I have the nolan and do remove the under piece (blocks out the wind) from the chin bar.

Thanks everyone for the replies about the bite valve. Am starting to plot my first 1000 mile day eek.gif, so it's really great information!

grizzly660fan

This has been a very interesting thread, thanks for starting it.

I use another brand, not yet mentioned here. Nalgene. I use their other products and really like them.

If you get them from a store like REI, then you get lifetime replacement. Not only do they make the bare bladder and associated parts, but they make a backpack not shown on the web site that prices in the $30-$40 range.

See bladder: http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/subcategory.asp?categorysubcategorycode=68

As mentioned by others, I prefer the wide mouth.

I hope this info helps!

Archived