IGNORED

Red rear turn signal lenses for R1100RT?

rondob4

I'm adding Run-N-Lites to my RT, but need to swap the rear turn signal lenses from amber to red. Anyone know of a vendor or other approach to this?

Klaus (run-n-lites) used to sell a dye kit to turn your lenses red, but I don't see it on the current webpage. It may be worthwhile to give him a call and see what he has to say. There is also the option of lite-buddies or other LED based systems that will shine red through the amber lenses. Or you could just not worry about it. Although it is technically illegal to have amber running lights on the rear of a vehicle in most, if not all, states, I really doubt this is high on the list of offenses for which most officers would cite you. You might have trouble at an annual safety inspection, but if so you could always either find another inspector or temporarily disconnect them.

Thanks, Dave. I read elsewhere of people spraying the inside of the lens with Krylon, but that doesn't seem like a good solution. I probably just won't worry about it...here in Joja we don't need no stinkin' vehicle inspection!

Several years ago I mounted a pair of flushmount turn signals to the red reflectors on the rear sides of the Suzuki VX-800 I had. They were amber, and used as running lights. I switched out the hi-power turn signal bulbs for some low power running light bulbs. I put 53k miles on that bike without so much as a nod from any LEO; I sold the bike to my brother, he put another 10k miles on it in another part of California without any trouble at all. FWIW, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I thought is was illegal in many states to change the color of your turn signals. Here is a neat idea, I've seen a couple of these products offered. It' a ring of LED lights that you glue around your 1156 bulb. The red LEDs make the amber lense look red and light up the turn signal lense, but when you use your turn signal they shut off and your turn signal bulb flashes the amber color.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/other-lighting/tsk-int.htm

Archived