IGNORED

Garmin 276 Mounting for 1150RT

byekurman

I have just purchased a boat. I have specified a Garmin 276C to be installed on my boat. I would like to move this between my boat and my RT. I have looked on the Garmin site and there are many different parts available for mounting. Can you folks suggest the parts needed to mount onto my "04-RT. Thanks to all..

Whoo hoo! What sort of boat?

Here's what I'd suggest.

Take the stock Garmin mount apart. There is a big screw in the middle of where the GPS clicks in, remove it. You've now got a nice solid GPS holder. The RAM mounting clip for the GPS is nothing compared to the Garmin one.

From cyclegadgets buy 2 standard 2.5" round bases.

RAM-STD_thumb.gif

One will attach with some small stainless screws (from your local hardware store) to the Garmin bracket. The other will attach wherever your boatbuilder installed the garmin mount.

For the RT, if you don't have a tankbag, get the mount that goes in the fork bridge, in place of that black cap.

RCB-FBC-RT_thumb.gif

For the RT, if you don't have a tankbag, get the mount that goes in the fork bridge, in place of that black cap.

RCB-FBC-RT_thumb.gif

Beware of using this mount on a R1150RT. I bought one and when I installed my 2610 I felt it was "loose". I didn't feel comfortable that it would hold over rough roads since the contact point between the mount and fork bridge is a o-ring. Or because of the movement over time the o-ring could wear to a point where it could fail.

When I asked CycleGadgets about it she comfirmed the diameter was a little larger on the 1150's fork bridge compaired to the 1100's. You might ask about this before ordering, they may have corrected this by now.

rickcavanaugh

do not buy the one using the unused mirror holes. It reaaaaaly sucks! Blocks your real mirrors. if you want one, I have one for sale reaaaal cheap!

When I had an 1150 I used the brake res cover version. expensive, but it worked. Other styles work well too. Just personal preference on where you what the GPS and the reach to the unit while riding.

almost forgot. The Garmin mount is much much much better than the ram mount. Use it if you can.

I was wondering about using the 'included' Garmin mount. Is it stronger than the ram or motorcycle mount(s)?

I am thinking of mounting it (Garmin) on my RCU shelf.

Down on the 'bars' seems low to me???

I use the Garmin marine bracket with a Gadget Guys mount. It puts the GPS right above the gauges and is solid as a rock. I'm really satisfied with this setup.

I used to have it on a shelf but it jiggled around to much. I think the GPS was just to heavy for the shelf.

I'm using the Garmin 276 in its marine mount on the RCU shelf on my R1200RT. While I really like the placement of the GPS (baove the instruments), it does bounce around when riding on rough surfaces. That's not really much of a problem in terms of usability, but I wonder if it will cause problems with the electronics in the unit. Maybe not since it's made for marine use and, I think, could get bounced around a lot more in small craft.

Brian

Woodstock400

One option that I like a ton (and use on my R1150RT) is the locking Touratech bracket for the 276C - link at address below. You need to mount it on a crossbar, but it works great. Not only locks but it also has shock-absorbing rubber gaskets that minimize vibration from the bike. Really designed for the GS, but it works great on any bike with a crossbar. On the 1150RT I use it with a crossbar mounted to a BMR products co-pilot shelf. Downsides are that it is expensive and that the BMR shelf for the R12RT does not have a crossbar option (at least not yet). Touratech makes a crossbar for the top of the fork that works resonably well, but I don't like it as well as the BMR shelf combo I have on the R1150RT.

Dan

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/search...F34693947781B6A

• 3 weeks later...

Archived