IGNORED

Cruise Control/Throttle lock

dughawk

I am looking for a cruise control for my 1150RT. We, Just got back from a 2200 mile round trip to the Upper part of Maine and the throttle wrist is suffering. Please send Ideas. Doug

I have ThrottleMeisters on both my bikes. Yes, they are a little pricey, but you can't do better short of an electronic cruise control. The TMs are also incredibly rugged. Had a minor accident on my Kawasaki; the TM survived direct impacts with a Mercedes and the asphalt. A little buffing was all it took to "fix" the TM. I also like the fact that they look just like your average aftermarket bar-ends.

Hope this helps.

GW

Bill Dennes

I'm with Doug. Throttlemeister works, but what a nuisance to activate. I don't want to practice for years to use the thing; I want to be able to lock the throttle NOW, so I can use my right hand just when I want to.

Maybe one day somebody will make us all happy by engineering a Flip-A-Lever for the 1150 handgrips.

i'd be happy with throttlemeister if i could just get it to work. I can't seem to get the handgrip to move out on the bar in order to allow the brass friction cylinder to come in contact. any advice on how to get the handgrip to move out 1-2 mm on the bar? It's just three phillips head screws that get loosened, right?

Bill Dennes

There are three phillips head screws that hold the plastic switch pod onto the right grip: The clearly visible black colored one, a bright metal colored one underneath and a small black colored one inside the mirror stalk hole.

Once the switch pod is removed, there is a conventional clamp (takes a 4mm allen) that gets loosened to slide the grip in or out.

Be sure to allow for a little bit of "growth" in the grip size if you have/use heated grips.

I finished up the installation of an electronic cruise control on my Kawasaku cruiser this past weekend. It works exactly like a car cruise with Set/Accelerate and Resume/Decelerate buttons. On a ride this Sunday, it held the speed to within one mph, according to my GPS, even up and down hills. Very impressive.

The good news is that the company, McCruise.com out of Austrailia will have this same cruise available by mid August for R1150RT's. I am planning on installing this unit on my 1150RT when it is available. If you want to see the installation on my cruiser, go to: http://www.tanglewoodbrushstrokes.com/kawasaki_1600_classic.htm Scroll down to the Kawasaki section. Haven't had time to take pictures of the RT yet.

I too will be looking very closely at the McCruise unit when available. There has also been a suggestion that it may be able to be fitted with the R12RT switch pod. Must pass this by the lads.

Archived