IGNORED

McGregor and Boorman are going the Long Way again

BULLman

from Adventure Rider

Biker stars Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman are going the Long Way again - for a third TV series.

They will be filmed riding from Cape Horn through South and Central America to California.

The show, to be called Long Way Up, is already pencilled in for 2009.

Really?!

I am a huge fan of LWR, but was very disappointed with LWD. It seemed that they were trying to recapture the magic of the first ride, but ultimately it didn't work. Maybe the third time will be a charm.

Maybe the third time will be a charm.

I'd like to think so, but I can't see it capturing the appeal of the first saga.

Typical popular media outlook, IMO -- find a novel format then flog it to death.

As an alternative to Ewan & Charlie, take a look at Nick Sanders' recently completed RTW trip:(http://www.nicksanders.com/index.htm).

35,000 miles in 150 days with no admin. assistance, fixers, back-up or film crew. And on an R1. His book and and the first two volumes of the accompanying DVD are available now. Recommended.

I had read a rumor somewhere, I can t remember where that they might be ending around here in sacramento somewhere. It seemed like an odd place to stop but then again I dont understand why they are stopping in California and not just going all the way to Washington or something...

Typical popular media outlook, IMO -- find a novel format then flog it to death.

Sort of like Hollywood. Create a great movie then make sequel after sequel in hopes extracting any and all revenue from the formula.

The first Long Way Round was very well done and what I enjoyed the most were the scenes when the support staff wasn't around. There was more "support" in LWD and I think that detracted from the trip.

I do like the way Charlie and Ewan interract with each other. They genuinely seem to be best friends, not paid actors and that part comes across well. What I didn't like in LWD were all the scenes of the support staff, who were just extra characters who came across as just additional actors with no real lines in the movie. The deal that killed the second movie, IMHO was when Ewan's wife joined them towards the end.

On one of our past bike trips, one of the guys just got married and mentioned around the campfire one night how he was thinking about flying his wife out (we were in CO at the time) to ride with us.

We quickly let him know that we're glad he's happy with this girl, but she has no business being on a trip with four smelly, foul-mouthed guys, drinking beer around a campfire.

RPG

Sort of like Hollywood. Create a great movie then make sequel after sequel in hopes extracting any and all revenue from the formula.

The first Long Way Round was very well done and what I enjoyed the most were the scenes when the support staff wasn't around. There was more "support" in LWD and I think that detracted from the trip.

I do like the way Charlie and Ewan interract with each other. They genuinely seem to be best friends, not paid actors and that part comes across well. What I didn't like in LWD were all the scenes of the support staff, who were just extra characters who came across as just additional actors with no real lines in the movie. The deal that killed the second movie, IMHO was when Ewan's wife joined them towards the end.

On one of our past bike trips, one of the guys just got married and mentioned around the campfire one night how he was thinking about flying his wife out (we were in CO at the time) to ride with us.

We quickly let him know that we're glad he's happy with this girl, but she has no business being on a trip with four smelly, foul-mouthed guys, drinking beer around a campfire.

RPG

Very well put. I agreed with it all. The support crew hasnt bother me as much as some though. I mean, they still have to go through some of the same crap as the bikes so its still an adventure. Look at long way round when they had the get the vehicles across the water crossings on the road of bones. Still very tough, in some parts it seemed like more of a challenge for the car than the bikes.

from Adventure Rider

Biker stars Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman are going the Long Way again - for a third TV series.

They will be filmed riding from Cape Horn through South and Central America to California.

I'm a fan of these series, but I have to admit that the name Long Way doesn't apply if you're going to stop in California. They will argue they already did Alaska and British Columbia, but they only traveled on the Alaskan Hwy. It would be much more interesting if they went up the Cassiar Hwy in BC with a detour to either Hyder/Stewart or Telegraph Creek and then up the Dempster all the way to Inuvik. It could be argued that Deadhorse is the top of the world, but the Dempster Hwy would be a much more interesting journey than the Dalton Hwy, especially with Inuvik as the end point.

If you have the DVD they droped a hint that this was coming. Where did the info come from?

I ran across it on Adventure Rider. I didn't have a chance to read the entire thread, but thought it might hit a cord here, too.

from Adventure Rider

I'm a fan of these series, but I have to admit that the name Long Way doesn't apply if you're going to stop in California. They will argue they already did Alaska and British Columbia, but they only traveled on the Alaskan Hwy. It would be much more interesting if they went up the Cassiar Hwy in BC with a detour to either Hyder/Stewart or Telegraph Creek and then up the Dempster all the way to Inuvik. It could be argued that Deadhorse is the top of the world, but the Dempster Hwy would be a much more interesting journey than the Dalton Hwy, especially with Inuvik as the end point.

I know from watching Long Way Down that charlie and Ewan mentioned that they are trying to keep the time they are gone down a bit from LWR becasue the time away from families on LWR. Just a thought. I mean after all does anything in the around here come close to the adventure in South America?

I pre-ordered the LWD DVD. I was so excited to "get back on the road" with Ewan and Charlie. I already posted that I was disappointed by the sophomore effort, and for mostly the same reasons as other here have stated... too much focus/attention paid to the support staff, and too much whining about the time pressure they were under.

Funny though... when BMW hosted a screen of LWD in the local movie theater, they edited down the full ten hours of whining to a two-hour presentation that was spectacular! It's amazing what the magic of editing can do! I wish I could have bought the two-hour theatrical version and skipped the full-length one.

I pre-ordered the LWD DVD. I was so excited to "get back on the road" with Ewan and Charlie. I already posted that I was disappointed by the sophomore effort, and for mostly the same reasons as other here have stated... too much focus/attention paid to the support staff, and too much whining about the time pressure they were under.

Funny though... when BMW hosted a screen of LWD in the local movie theater, they edited down the full ten hours of whining to a two-hour presentation that was spectacular! It's amazing what the magic of editing can do! I wish I could have bought the two-hour theatrical version and skipped the full-length one.

I was just the opposite. I saw the moview theatre version but was not as impressed. It seemded to jump around too much and I didnt have that feeling like I was on the ride with them like LWR. I ordered the 10 episode verison and that had all the details left off the theatre version and I found what the theatre version was missing. They really blew LWD with Ewans wife riding. Thats was the big upset.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

i only ready the LWD book. very disappointed.

after having read investment biker (and adventure capitalist), jupiters travels, the longest ride, i wouldn't recommend the LWD book to anyone

The 10-episode version of LWD is vastly superior to the 6-episode version in that there are 140 minutes of additional footage, most of which is just Ewan and Charlie riding and camping on their own. It helped bring the feel of LWR to the proceedings by having less of a ratio of support crew to riders. It also felt a lot less rushed. Both my wife and I found we were watching an entirely new version of LWD, which we didn't like too much in its 6-episode configuration. It's still not LWR, but sequels rarely best the original anyway.

I really enjoyed LWR.

I did not enjoy LWD as it seemed the most important thing was to be somewhere at a given time and the trip became about the finish....

On a ride through South and Central America they'll want security for sure. I just hope they spend more time enjoying the ride and meeting the people.

Archived