IGNORED

R1100RT mirror pod

algover

The right mirror pod on my 2000 R1100RT keeps popping off at even slight bumps, and, at a recent service, I had them look at it. I was told the base plate (p/n 46 63 2 352 122) should be replaced, but that they didn't have it in stock. I ordered the part and have since received it. I thought I'd try to replace it myself, to avoid the hassle of taking it in again.

I got the old base plate off, but can't figure out how to remove the "adjuster unit" (p/n 46 63 2 654 616), the semi-ball-shaped part that attaches the mirror and allows it to be adjusted, in order to transfer it to the new base plate. The Clymer manual says nothing about it; the Haynes manual only gives a cursory description - not very clear.

Has anyone had occasion to do this that can offer some guidance? Does the mirror itself have to be removed somehow? Should I just take it into the shop and have them do it?

Thanks.

Peter, You should have chimed in here first! I could have told you that you can rejuvinate the gripper clips on the mirror by simply taking a needle nose plier to them.

Simply squeeze the retaining clip around the "claws" until the diameter is reduced as well as drawing in the clips a bit more with the plier. Problem solved mirrors stay on again.

Thanks, Tony, but, at first, I had no clue what the problem might be. I'll try that now, and keep the new base plate for later use. Will that fix really last? The clips are still in place.

Will that fix really last?

Yup.

It's just a matter of drawing the tines in a bit as they have widened over time. I wasn't overly careful about squeezing on them with the plier either. But with any sort of thing like this it is possible to be ham fisted and bust a clip. I have not had that awful floppy mirror syndrome since doing this and I ride around on L.A. fwys and streets everyday so you know they have been tested! :thumbsup:

I had a simmilar problem, after i dropped the bike, the mirror would pop off as I rode along and I would have to stop to refit, this it did about a 100 times, what was happening was that it wasnt being held properly by all the fittings, I think the front one would flex in slightly and not catch properly, pushing the mirror back on then wiggling it seemed to work and its never came off since, hope this helps.

Peter,

If you're still intent on swpping out the base plate this little description I have posted earlier for the 1150RT might help.

"Bash the mirror off (as if replacing the indicator bulb) and remove the indicator bulb / holder.

Remove the three screws holding the black bit to the outer. You'll see that the mirror glass is held on to the swivel bit by four plastic clasps. Two, maybe three of these are reasonably easy to get off but the fourth will need a long thin screwdriver to help lever it off.

New one just clips on and Bob's yer uncle."

Cheers

russell_bynum

Yup.

It's just a matter of drawing the tines in a bit as they have widened over time. I wasn't overly careful about squeezing on them with the plier either. But with any sort of thing like this it is possible to be ham fisted and bust a clip. I have not had that awful floppy mirror syndrome since doing this and I ride around on L.A. fwys and streets everyday so you know they have been tested! :thumbsup:

You aren't the first person to do that to the mirrors on that bike. :grin:

Yup.

+1

It's been about 2 years and many gravel roads since I tried that on a whim. Heck, I thought it was a pretty ingenious fix at the time -- I guess it was just fairly mundane...... ;)

Archived