IGNORED

Ohlins Or Wait For New Bike

2wheeler

If there's one thing I can count on from this board it's that opinions will be given. I have a 2002 RT with 35,000 miles. Thought I wanted an LT, but demoed it at Beemerville and it's too cramped(I'm 6'4" and the seat is terrible) and no go power under 3k rpm. I tested the new RT and it's a dream. But I think I'll be more interested in the K1200GT should one materialize next year.

All that being said, my shocks are tired, not shot, just tired as most of my riding is two up. We're not a heavy couple, but the shock is starting to bounce. Everyone here raves about their aftermarket shocks. So here's the question, should I install a set of Ohlins for what will amount to about 4 or 5 months of riding before I get a new bike, or should I save my coin for a new RT or GT?

It's your money and your decision, but if your stock shocks have not failed it seems kind of an expensive proposition to go to aftermarket shocks on a bike that you know you will be replacing in only four or five months (plus you have to include the time it will take to get them which will serve to make your interval of ownership even shorter.) You'll get some of the Ohlins' cost back in resale value but only some.

Blue Beemer Dude

Yeah, I'm with "S". If you know the bike is history, then save your money. Especially if you plan to trade rather than sell it outright, where you're less likely to get any allowance for the aftermarket upgrade.

Michael

Paul Mihalka

I would do my best NOT to ride on worn out shocks. It's no fun. I would try to find a set (may be just rear) of used shocks, low mileage, possibly take-off from a close to new bike. Check occasionally this site, IBMWR, beemerboneyard.com, others. They do show up.

Most of the board members here know I'm all for ditching the worthless spring holders BMW continues to install on their bikes. Why BMW doesn't offer Ohlins as an option or better yet come originaly equipped as some Ducati's do. They have a great sponsorship with the Power Cup series with WP so maybe someday.

But enough about that...I agree, you should search for a good used pair that someone had upgraded and had laying around. It's not safe to ride on worn out suspension and it doesn't make sense to dump a C-note into a bike your going to replace in the time frame you mention.

smile.gifI say go for the Ohlins! You will get your money out of them in the end. Search at the classified, see how many haven't sold. Some of us are looking for a deal! cool.gif

Archived