IGNORED

Christmas Surprise, or... how to make points!

Couchrocket

Mrs. Couch has been a dog lover all her life. She lost "Sadie" after almost 17 years, about 12 years ago, and we've been so active and on the move that another pooch wasn't in the picture.

OR SO SHE THOUGHT...

I decided to surprise her for Christmas this year with a puppy! I had some limiting criteria, and so started doing my homework.

1. No barking slippers. Patricia likes larger dogs.

2. Gotta be a pup just ready to be taken home.

3. Gotta be a breed w/ easy going temperament.

4. Here's the killer, my son has severe pet allergies so some sort of

hypo allergenic dog would be best, other wise I'd never see my son and grandson again!

Do my homework....

Golden-doodle!

Say hello to miss Maggie Mae. She is a doll and looks like a stuffed animal come to life.

I told Patricia we were going to an outdoor music venue as a surprise for Christmas, and we just showed up for our appointment to select a pup at the breeder's. Maggie "picked out" Patricia almost immediately. I'm now down a notch on the priority list around here, but also have almost unlimited brownie / go riding points for life! :grin:

434830432_iJnLt-L.jpg

She's an F1B for any of you who know "dog stuff."

She's so cute....ya just want to jump threw the screen and give her a hug.

I wish my dogs were here right now. I would show em all the screen and they would sniff Maggie Mae.

:thumbsup:

What a sweet looking girl.:thumbsup:

I presume when you cross two intelligent breeds, you get an intelligent hybrid. Over the last 20 years of being owned by dogs, I've learned that having a smart dog can be a double-edged sword. A certificate for puppy obedience classes might make a nice stocking stuffer. Well-trained dogs tend to be happier, as do the humans they own.

What a sweet looking girl.:thumbsup:

I presume when you cross two intelligent breeds, you get an intelligent hybrid. Over the last 20 years of being owned by dogs, I've learned that having a smart dog can be a double-edged sword. A certificate for puppy obedience classes might make a nice stocking stuffer. Well-trained dogs tend to be happier, as do the humans they own.

Thanks for the insight. "Supposedly" the people pleaser in the Golden, and the smarts of the Standard Poodle make for a dog that is anxious to please. We see some evidence of that already.

I'm also a "Dog Whisperer" devotee, and have used the techniques to produce good results w/ my mother-in-law's Doberman who only wanted to eat me when she first met me! :-)

...some sort of hypo allergenic dog would be best, other wise I'd never see my son and grandson again!

I know almost nothing about dogs, but there even is such a thing? What makes a particular breed not cause allergic reactions?

...some sort of hypo allergenic dog would be best, other wise I'd never see my son and grandson again!

I know almost nothing about dogs, but there even is such a thing? What makes a particular breed not cause allergic reactions?

From what I read there seems to be a distinction between "fur" and "hair" and standard poodles have hair that needs to be cut like human hair, but that doesn't shed. No undercoat. The bottom line is that apparently "hair" dogs don't have dander or as much dander. Wiki says that allergists say there is no such thing as a truly hypo allergenic dog, which seems reasonable. It is all a matter of degree, I suspect.

I'm sure someone out there "really" knows about this. I sure don't. But, I can tell you this. The puppy plays on a sheet we put on top of the covers on our bed in the evenings and there isn't a single "pet hair" on that sheet in 4 days. It is amazing. For what it is worth, her skin also looks more like "people skin" than typical dog skin. Don't know if that it related or not.

We had a Maltese for many years who was "hypo allergenic." He rarely ever shed a hair and our "pet sensitive" friends never had a problem with him. Wonderful dog too.

Congratulations on your new family member!

Congratulations, she looks like a great dog!

Since Jan is adamantly opposed to getting another cat, maybe we can get one of those. Hypoallergenic sounds good.

This spooks me a little. Our miniature poodle, Ginger, turned 17 on Dec. 10th. As the old gal of the house she sleeps most of the day and interacts very little now. From time to time she reverts to puppy hood tossing and killing her kibbles before eating them. She was our first child as it were.

As a family we decided it was time for another dog for the kids to grow up with. The kids and I fell in love with this pup, Maggie, and her energetic nature.

436463300_D5tiW-M.jpg

But my wife fell in love with this gal, Molly, with looks and mannerisms similar to Ginger.

436448467_3qBTK-M.jpg

We decided on only one dog, or so my wife thought. The pups were still a week away from being able to leave their mother so the plan was for me to return later to pick up Maggie. I made secret plans with the breeding family for both dogs. My wife just cried when I surprised her with two pups. At first she seemed angry saying, “we can’t have three dogs!” Once she composed herself and began to snuggle with Molly all was well, serious brownie points. The two sisters were born one after the other and are a blast to watch wrestling and running around the house. They will both be about 20 pounds when fully grown.

Here is the old gal and Molly.

436463311_rFiTL-M.jpg

In her prime Ginger would go nuts to pool me on my cross country skis into the cabin. She’s been a tough dog with loads of character.

This spooks me a little.

How GREAT! Your Maggie looks a lot like ours, only black! How cool.

We're having a ball here w/ her and she seems very smart and very teachable.

Enjoy... thanks for sharing!

This spooks me a little.

How GREAT! Your Maggie looks a lot like ours, only black! How cool.

We're having a ball here w/ her and she seems very smart and very teachable.

Enjoy... thanks for sharing!

She is smart,,YOUR TEACHABLE,,Im sure she well have you in the palm of her paw in no time,,DOG"S Gota Love Um.. :rofl:

Archived