IGNORED

Polishing an Aeroflow

MGN54

Need to freshen up an Aeroflow windshield on the 2000 RT I recently purchased. It's hazy from many fine scratches and a few not so fine. Tried a little Mcguires plastic polish on it but didn't do much good. I have a Porter Cable orbital polisher that I could use if necessary. Wondering if I can get it back to a clear status or not and what product to use to do it.

Thanks!

Mark

SteveHebert

You can try a 1000 grit wet/dry sand paper, followed by a 2500 grit paper. After that a polish and swirl remover should make it look like glass.

I used this line of products on a fairly well damaged screen with some (not complete) success.

3553.jpg

Purchased through RiderWearhouse.

Thanks for the responses! Steve, would I use the wet sand papers by hand? And use them wet? The screen is just sort of hazy right now. Would it be worth a try to use the swirl remover/polish to see what it would do first before moving on to the sand papers? Do you have a swirl remover/polish that you could recommend?

Mark

Mark,

I would try the least abrasive method first, i.e. by hand. Depending on the extent of your scratch, if hand method doesn't work for you, use the orbital. If you end up using the orbital, keep it moving.

Frank, I looked, and I have the 3M Perfect It II, Fine Cut rubbing compound. Guess that may be too abrasive, you think?

Mark

Frank, I looked, and I have the 3M Perfect It II, Fine Cut rubbing compound. Guess that may be too abrasive, you think?

Mark

Yep, Methinks that is to abrasive.

Global_Rider
Tried a little Mcguires plastic polish on it but didn't do much good. I have a Porter Cable orbital polisher that I could use if necessary. Wondering if I can get it back to a clear status or not and what product to use to do it.

Thanks!

Mark

Just did 3 screens today off the motorcycle. All you need is patience.

I used Mequiar's Fine Cut Cleaner No 2 on the screen that had deeper scratches (visually, not to the touch) and finished it off with Meguiar's Swirl Remover (their finest polish). These are paint products and they work extremely well. I used my orbital polisher to apply the polish.

It'll take 30 minutes or more...like I said...patience.

Results? The one with the most scratches turned out 100% perfect.

Don't let any grit get on the buffing pad, or you'll be starting all over.

On my BMW screens, I've used the Novus products and a foam bonnet on a random orbital sander (set at LOW so as not to burn) with awesome results on mild scratches. thumbsup.gif Be sure to take your time and keep the bonnet moving to avoid any heat build-up. blush.gif

Mark

Yep, Methinks that is to abrasive.

Yep, me also thinks it's too abrasive.

Archived