IGNORED

F-18 Crashes in San Diego

motoguy128

I hope this isn't anyone's home or neighborhood on this board. looks like a descent neighborhood. Kind of scary. Sounds like the 2 pilots are OK. I'm guessing they lost all engine power and subsuquently all hydralic control and couldn't make it to the ocean or desert. At least it missed the highway and a nearby school just a mile or two away.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/12/08/military.jet.crash/index.html

When is the last time this happened. I have to ask my wife if that looks like near an area she used ot live in. Hey...maybe moving to Iowa saved her life... although she would have been at work that time of day anyhow.

It also looks like the plane fortunately went down mostly vertically and only damaged 2 homes rather than horizontally at over 150mph. The damage is concentrated in one location.

It must have been a hard decision deciding where you are going to ditch the plane once you realize you can't: 1) save it 2) reach an airfield or 3) reach the ocean or desert.

Been watching the news much of the afternoon. As these things go, it was about as clean as it could have been.

Unfortunately, they now say a 2-4 people are dead or missing.

I don't know of anyone from the board who lives in that particular neighborhood.

Our news indicates just one Marine pilot. He was bringing the plane back to Miramar base from a carrier.

Two kids, a mother and a grandmother were believed to have been in one of the houses.

Joe Frickin' Friday
When is the last time this happened.

Depends on what you mean by "this". One of the Blue Angels crashed into a residential area during an airshow a couple of years ago, but they determined it was pilot error. Although both planes were F-18's that crashed into neighborhoods, the current crash was not during an airshow, and the cause currently is unknown (though the pilot reported "trouble," presumably mechanical in nature, prior to the crash).

I meant to say when was the last time a military plane crashed into a San Diego neighborhood?

Very tragic that a family was home at the time. I hope the Pentagon does the right thing and goes above and abeyond to reach out to that family, make a full appology and reasonable settlement.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Well, it's hard to imagine a worse outcome. The dead comprise one man's entire family - wife, kids, mother-in-law - leaving him to go on alone. This was the hardest part to read:

"I know there are many people who have experienced more terrible things," Yoon said. "But, please, tell me how to do it. I don't know what to do."

Somehow he's kept his senses and is extending compassion to the pilot, who is sure to be dealing with some major survivor's guilt.

Moving very moving....

"Please pray for him not to suffer from this accident," a distraught Dong Yun Yoon told reporters gathered near the site of Monday's crash...."He is one of our treasures for the country," Yoon said in accented English punctuated by long pauses while he tried to maintain his composure.

Wow, that is moving. He is a good man and an incredible example to me. I have tremendous sympathy for him and great respect for his compassion.

Archived