IGNORED

1200 GS and nights spent dreaming...

questrider

Nothing specific to post here except I've had incredibly real and ridiculous dreams lately of a red 1200 GS. I literally wake up in the morning and can recall vivid dreams that haunt my entire morning. crazy.gif The RT is going in for it's 6,000 mile checkup in a couple of weeks and I'm seriously going to test ride a GS and fantasize about a trade-in, if, of course, I enjoy the test ride. tongue.gif Can it be possible that I won't like it? We shall see! Anyway, it's crazy and impulsive, but I'm wanting something a little more light and nimble than the RT, and also something I won't fear taking down some road that I wouldn't on the RT for fear of bottoming out or the whole (pig) fairing issue. Lots of country and/or gravel roads where I live! And, lately I've really been wanting more airflow when I'm riding, especially around the legs.

May the BMW gods help me, I think I'm having a moment! smile.gif

So, one question I have as I salivate... what exactly does the difference of the front wheel being an inch bigger make in the maneuverability and general riding of the GS?

So, one question I have as I salivate... what exactly does the difference of the front wheel being an inch bigger make in the maneuverability and general riding of the GS?

--provides more leverage in turns, especially coupled with the smaller rear

--much less likely to be disturbed by bumps or holes (doesn't sit down in them)

--counteracts block pattern tires by providing bigger contact patch

Well we're not going to help the situation any!

We loved our R1150RT, but since switching to the R1200GS I do have to say there is a world of difference in the handling, nimbleness, maneuverability. For a whole lot of reasons, not just the larger front wheel. Lighter bigger bars, higher, quicker turn-in.

The RT is a wonderful at-speed bike, but the GS is a much better all-around bike, IMHO. We miss some of the stability of the RT, especially in the long-haul stuff, but overall if you can only have just one bike, it's a worthwhile trade off.

Think you'll sleep better now? tongue.gifgrin.gif

RichEdwards

I've had incredibly real and ridiculous dreams lately of a red 1200 GS.

Did your dream look like this?----

29179665-M.jpg

Maybe it's time to make the dream real. thumbsup.gif

Aaagh!! I've been having the same dream and this picture doesn't help at all.....

I said to my wife "Other guys have an RT and a GS, why can't I?" You ever see the look on a Pit Bull when they are getting ready to kill? (side note, my wife if the most wonderful girl in the world!!)

I've decided to take a GS for a test ride next week when I drop my RT off for some service. I LOVE my RT but I also love the dirt. I keep telling myself to deal with it and keep washing the bike down.

29179665-M.jpg

dopeslap.gif

29179665-M.jpg

Ummmm, do you mind if I blow this up and hang it near my wife's mirror? grin.gif

And, red is the fastest, best handling color!

Sure sure. Talkin smack to a blue GS owner who's about to work on your bike...smart dood you are.

Aaaaaaaah, yes, those pictures help tremendously! Thanks RichBMW and Ken H., yes my dreams do appear quite close to these examples. These, and the desktop on my computer the last month are either helping or causing me restless sleep! I agree with Happy Man that I have tried to convince my wife that I should be able to keep the RT and get a GS, but I do know that look of a Pit Bull when they are getting ready to kill! Oh well, we'll see how the test ride goes in a couple of weeks.

543820-BMW-R1200GS.jpg

I have tried to convince my wife that I should be able to keep the RT and get a GS, but I do know that look of a Pit Bull when they are getting ready to kill! Oh well

Well dude....keep trying.....not only did I convince her to keep my 04RT but she even let me take the $$$ out of the kitchen fund.....again. She says...:"I know I can't talk you out of it, so please make it Red like the other bikes so you don't go out and buy all new riding gear to match".

The comical part of her statement is that just last month she went out and tried on a Rally 11 Suit and ordered REDin her size. laugh-cry.gif

We look like a friggen brochure cover roll'n down the road.

Loosing sleep is not healthy and causes stress...now go grab that check book and make us proud. thumbsup.gif

steve.foote

Brian,

I'm afraid I have to appologize to you for the crappy, irresponsible advice you have been getting in this thread. It's like pack mentality, everyone jumping on the bandwagon.

Obviously, you need to take your time and reflect about this important decision, and get the yellow one.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I visited the BMW dealer on Saturday and gazed (stared lustfully, really) at two red ones (one with the black "tuna head", the other with the silver "tuna head"--what are those things called officially anyway?), a blue one, and a black one they had painted (which looked really cool, btw). None to test ride though. I was crushed. I was disappointed. I was sad, to say the least. Oh well, after sitting on one and dreaming awake for a change, I picked one of the brochures and high-tailed out of there before I broke down and started crying. wink.gif

After devouring the brochure, I'm now into full-blown obsession at wanting the GS. Makes me fear what stages of psychosis follows once I've (a) had the test ride and (b) own one. grin.gif

TagSport didn't have a demo? LAME!

Head a bit west and give Gina's a shot. Let Woody know you're making the trip ahead of time and I'd guess you'll get a ride no sweat.

TagSport didn't have a demo? LAME!
Yep, four of them in the stable and none to ride. I came in on my RT all geared up in my Savanna too, so I'm hoping I just didn't get the brush off.

Head a bit west and give Gina's a shot. Let Woody know you're making the trip ahead of time and I'd guess you'll get a ride no sweat.
Thanks for the advice. What dealership is Gina's and just exactly where is it located?

Archived