IGNORED

SPOT persoanl locator

Bud

Looking around I see that some places have a $50 rebate, some no rebate at all and one, West Marine, that includes the first year of enhanced locater service plus cover.

Any other good places out there right now to buy a SPOT?

Seems like last time I went to Costco I saw the Spot unit. I can't find it on-line, but I'm reasonably sure I saw it at their store.

+1. Costco had an endcap full of them when I was in there 2 weeks ago. Rebates were applicable per the signage.

Nice n Easy Rider
Looking around I see that some places have a $50 rebate, some no rebate at all and one, West Marine, that includes the first year of enhanced locater service plus cover.

Any other good places out there right now to buy a SPOT?

The rebate comes directly from SPOT. If you buy a unit at the list $149.95 price and send them a copy of your receipt and the UPC code from the box then SPOT sends you the rebate. You can go here to download the rebate form:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=1610

Seems like last time I went to Costco I saw the Spot unit. I can't find it on-line, but I'm reasonably sure I saw it at their store.

+1. Costco had an endcap full of them when I was in there 2 weeks ago. Rebates were applicable per the signage.

The rebate form specifically states that Costco sales are EXCLUDED from the rebate. Don't know why. Anyone have a guess?

Well here is the deal. West Marine had it with a $50.00 rebate and free tracking for a year ($50 value) and a free carrying case ($20).

So I went ahead and got it there.

Will let you all know how it turns out.

Calvin  (no socks)

I'm 50+ years old, my Mom and Dad would love to let me cross the road and not worry. I get a safety lecture before each and every long distance ride....This may be my ticket to freedom.

Er....What if I don't want to be located.....Hmmmm. What if I'm crossing Nevada way too fast... What if I stop for too long. What if I pass on the double... What if I change my mind and want to come home early... everyone will know...I...I... can't stand to be watched...Federal authorities are at the door....High Performance anxiety.... :eek:

BTW....It would be great for an electronic IBA certificate. Instant reporting and gratification. Shipped to you before you reach home. Sweeet. :grin:

And especially nice for areas where there is no cell phone coverage. Right now the authorities lend travellers satellite phone programmed to only call 911 at each end of the Trans-Labrador highway. The SPOT could make that redundant.

And especially nice for areas where there is no cell phone coverage. Right now the authorities lend travellers satellite phone programmed to only call 911 at each end of the Trans-Labrador highway. The SPOT could make that redundant.

And for a lot less money than a sat phone!

Kind of along the same lines - Best Buy carries the Zoombak which is a GPS locator/tracker. Looks like $249.00 for the unit and $10.00 a month for the service. For more info go to bestbuy.com and then search "personal locator".

Kind of along the same lines -

Kind of... except that Zoombak relies on cellular service for the return link, not much use on the Trans-Labrador highway (or anywhere else cellular service is lacking.) SPOT transmits directly to a satellite and does not require any cellular service.

Same with ONSTAR by GM.. I have been in my truck in areas where the cell service does not exist. tried ONSTAR and the same problem. so I guess that SPOT will hit the spot when you really need it the most! ( as long as the sats can get a three point fix on where you are). Open spaces are the key. If you immoblized in a ravine off the road and cannot climb out, you may be SOL!

Bob

Kind of along the same lines - Best Buy carries the Zoombak which is a GPS locator/tracker. Looks like $249.00 for the unit and $10.00 a month for the service. For more info go to bestbuy.com and then search "personal locator".

That seems to be more like a "stealth" device. Put it on the car but don't tell the driver and then track their movements. Maybe I read it wrong?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

About the SPOT;

It works on two satellite systems. It receives the GPS signals as does your garmin, but then it retransmits them on a Sat Phone frequency (I forget which.) Now, keep in mind that the satellites are orbiting the planet so their position is never quite known to you or I, nor the SPOT. It broadcasts your location at preset intervals depending on which mode you've activated. If you're moving through terrain, there's the possibility that it wont get the signal through. Also, at "tracking" interval of 10 minutes, you're never going to get a track like those you download from your GPS.

Check this: track boney If you don't see anything, it's because SPOT dumps your data after about a week. You can download it if you want, from the control panel in your account.

So, if I don't get a "great" track from SPOT, and it may not be 100% reliable, why should I get one?

Here's why:

When I am stationary, and I've activated one of the three non-tracking modes, I have never had anything less than 100% connectivity. (I have never used the 911 function- which is the highest level of broadcasting frequency.) So, your Okay message to SWMBO (which I have set up to text her phone) will get through if you activate it before you start or after you stop. Your "help I've fallen and I can't get up" message summoning Killer and his truck will get through, and the 911 feature will too. I think the tracking feature is pretty cool too because if I fall off my bike and can't push any of the buttons on my spot, someone knows a general location where to start looking.

Oh, and keep the SPOT facing the sky. It doesn't work too well on a belt. I put mine in various pockets and cases on my jacket and bike and found that the most reliability comes when it's face up in the Pelican Case I have mounted on the back of my bike.

Ordered on line from West Marine. $50 rebate plus one year tracking free.

Shipped today, will be here by end of week.

FYI

Checked with West Marine store here- the Enhanced Tracking is free, but you still have to subscribe to the $99/yr basic tracking service...sooo..

First year total cost - about 200 simolians...includes the device and enhanced tracking.

Subsequent year either $99 for basic tracking or $150 to maintain the same service that you had the first year.

Still prolly not a bad deal. Ask Phil. (course he's prolly tracking the car these days...... :lurk::lurk: )

Ordered on line from West Marine. $50 rebate plus one year tracking free.

Shipped today, will be here by end of week.

FYI

Checked with West Marine store here- the Enhanced Tracking is free, but you still have to subscribe to the $99/yr basic tracking service...sooo..

First year total cost - about 200 simolians...includes the device and enhanced tracking.

Subsequent year either $99 for basic tracking or $150 to maintain the same service that you had the first year.

Still prolly not a bad deal. Ask Phil. (course he's prolly tracking the car these days...... :lurk::lurk: )

Yes, there is always a fee for service. Less than $12/month seems pretty cheap to me. Heck, I spend more than that on XM radio.

Of course, if it turns out I decided it's not for me, I will just list it on flea bay.

Went down to check the Costco deal....

Seems they get $100 for the device and you pay for the basic service with it. $199.00 total. The $50 rebate is handled through Costco.com rebates online so you don't have to send receipts and UPC codes and all.

Then you have to pay for the year extended service thru Spot.

Sounds like a wash to me...with less hassle for the rebate. I have sent many rebates through the Costco website- never a problem.

But....ya don't get a carry case. Ah well....

It'll be interesting to see how it works.... Don't think I will start the year subscription until the next trip. Will use Amateur APRS until then...and mebbe in conjunction with.

And, like you said Bud.....there is always fleBay.

CoarsegoldKid

Oh, and keep the SPOT facing the sky... it's face up in the Pelican Case I have mounted on the back of my bike.

Will that be good if the bike is laying on it's side?

Archived