IGNORED

Sad Milestone For Canada In Afgahnistan

marcopolo

Canada lost three soldiers in Afghanistan today. They were the 98th, 99th and 100th to die in that mission. Canada has also lost a diplomat in Afghanistan. Canadian soldiers are based in Kandahar, along with American forces. The troops killed today were on a joint patrol with Afghan soldiers when their armoured vehicle struck a roadside bomb. I heard in one news report that one of those killed had very recently crawled through enemy fire to provide first aid to a wounded Afghan soldier. All of these soldiers come from a base just two hours west of where I live. Obviously a very sad time for their families, especially so close to Christmas. While it's up to families, almost all choose to have repatriation ceremonies fully open to the press/TV. Things like this certainly put things in perspective.

Things like this certainly put things in perspective.

They certainly do. Canadians don't get near enough credit for the risks they've taken in the war on terror. As a world citizen, I have noticed and I appreciate and respect these heroic people.

Their loss of life is no less important and sad than any other soldiers, to the nation and most of all, to their families. I am grateful for their service and sacrifice.

As a world citizen, I...

You've been reading too many of Ken H.'s posts.

Hey Steve and I are damn near going to be roomies at the UNRally!

Mark ,

I'm sure all the members on this board sympathise with you and the loss of these soldiers .

Australia has just had one of our young soldiers returned , killed in Afghanistan and we have just buried another young soldier who took his own life after suffering severe depression from having served in Afghanistan.

I was in Canberra last week and whenever I have any free time I always visit the War Memorial and place poppies for all my family members who have been to war.And there have been far too many of them!!

While it's up to families, almost all choose to have repatriation ceremonies fully open to the press/TV.

Very sad indeed. I respect the families that allow coverage. It is a public reminder that war has a personal cost.

Too bad the US is afraid to have the same reminders.

I most certainly don't want to start a competition here, however there have now been 128 British deaths in Afghanistan and of course there are many more wounded, some of whom are maimed for life.

My Niece's husband is there at present with the RAF.

This site is very moving and worth a visit. What strikes me is how many of those we have lost seem to be the very best of the best!

http://www.lastingtribute.co.uk/featuredtributes/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/afghanistan

For any Brits reading this I recommend this to them

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Please visit and support Help for Heroes in their brilliant work

As a world citizen, I...

You've been reading too many of Ken H.'s posts.

Hey Steve and I are damn near going to be roomies at the UNRally!

Not to mention the guy in room 32... :thumbsup:

Yes it was a sad day indeed for Canada and for all of us here. You and all your contrymen should know that there was a very nice ramp ceremony for the three heroes as they were loaded on the airplane and flown home.

We loose soldiers almost every week. Flags at half staff are common place. Both Kandahar and Helmand are the strong holds of the Taliban. Fighting is vicious in both places and the cowards kill and injure so many with the road side bombs. They have no regard for human life at all and kill many more of their own Afghani country men and women.

2009 will be a big turn here with the addition of 20,000 more US troops and thousands more from our allies.

Please pray for all of the soldiers and their families not just during the Holiday Season, but everyday that they are out there on patrol.

Respectfully submitted,

Thank you, Steve. Stay safe while you're over there.

As for the three who lost their lives, there was a very respectful ceremony when the plane landed in Trenton, Ontario. The remains were then driven about 100 miles west to Toronto. As has become the custom, many people line the overpasses and entrance ramps along the route (a four-lane expressway) to pay their respects. When the procession arrived in Toronto, police cleared an extended stretch of four-lane parkway for the final leg to the coroner's office. Even in the middle of rush hour in a big city, traffic came to a standstill on the opposite side of the roadway, and many more people lined the route. I have read reports that the families take great comfort in the show of support they witness on this journey.

Archived