IGNORED

Bungee Buddy Question????????

Eckhard Grohe

Eckhard Grohe

Getting the bike ready to do some camping. What are the best places to mount Bungee Buddies?? Are there any stay away areas on the cases???

Just look on the inside of the case prior to drilling holes. You'll need to fit a wrench in there. thumbsup.gif

I just have two on each case mounted on the inner half. They are mounted just forward and to the rear of the "multi-purpose box" (aka handle / lock mechanism). I use a Jo's U-pack for gear that mounts over the rear rack and extends up over the side cases. Just attaching it to the inner shell allows you access to the case. Hope that helps.

Are there any stay away areas on the cases???

yes!! speaking from experience, if you have a passenger, stay away from putting the bungee buddies on the front (forward) edge of the case - where a passenger's calves might hit.

sylva

Getting the bike ready to do some camping. What are the best places to mount Bungee Buddies?? Are there any stay away areas on the cases???

Here's where I put mine. Never a lick of trouble. You should, however, put a dab of silicon seal on the back side just to ensure water tightness.

Regards,

Mike O

Seat_016.jpg

I'm kind of like Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets," arranging the silverware over and over until it's just perfect while he waits on breakfast at the diner! smile.gif. So believe me when I say I measured a hundred ways to find what I thought was the perfect spot. You'll notice right away that part of the bag is afflicted with a double wall, so you have to avoid that. Here's a picture of the installed ones:

bungiefinish.jpg

And here are the measurements (for the holes themselves).

Rear: 2.00" rearward from the crack/seam, and 2.00" in from the inside of the bag.

Front: 0.75" from the crack/seam, and 3.25" in from the inside of the bag.

I thought about this for a while and decided to go with stainless steel U bolts over the Bungee Buddies.

The U bolts allow the use of nylon straps as well as bungee cords.

The nylon straps will anchor heavy loads much more securely than bungee cords. 959035UBolts.jpg

The previous owner of my bike put the bungie buddies on the top front and top back sections of the cases. My pillions have never commented on if it hits their calves (which is my way of saying it might, but hasn't mattered grin.gif)

The way mine are positioned is so if I "strap" something to the pillion seat I can criss-cross the bungies and it's centered perfectly. If I want to strap something down on the rack, the rear set of bungie buddies criss-crossed to the bottom-back of the rack will hold it down nicely. Also, I've carried stuff across the tops of the cases (like a large duffel bag) the buddies are out of the way.

For the Top of the Rockies Rally, I had my tent on top of the right case, secured by the BB's front and back with the strap (sleeping bag strap) spiraling around the tent. You can do some crazy things with the additional tie down spots!

Oh...and be careful when unlatching the case that has a bungie holding something down -- it'll launch the case up and out! eek.gif

Just make a clean hole and use a bit of silicon, like Mike O suggests...

Later,

jan

ShovelStrokeEd

I am not a real fan of the Bungie Buddy product. Its OK but, I hate bungee cords. I am a big fan of the Helen 2 Wheels strap system. The straps can be arranged to work from the existing bag mounts on all oil heads and will hold anything you can fit on or across the seats.

I am not a real fan of the Bungie Buddy product. Its OK but, I hate bungee cords. I am a big fan of the Helen 2 Wheels strap system. The straps can be arranged to work from the existing bag mounts on all oil heads and will hold anything you can fit on or across the seats.

Ed,

In general I agree. I use the Bungie Buddy hooks WITH the H2W straps as well (they're a tight fit but I consider that GOOD not bad). I do, however, use the bungee cords when holding down stuff that I won't lose any sleep over if I discover at my destination, the item might no longer be there. wink.gif The bungee is far more convenient than the LONGGGGGG H2W straps I have. (I would NEVER strap down my laptop case with bungee cords). I do like the location and convenience of the Bungie Buddy hooks.

Regads,

Mike O

• 2 weeks later...

Archived