IGNORED

Final Drive Fluid Change

TheTick

As the 05's don't have a drain plug, how do you get the gear oil drained? Or is the gear-oil good for the like of the bike!?

Would it compromise the structure of pivot arm if one was to tap and fit a drain plug?

Don_Eilenberger

You change it by removing the top paralever arm bolt, and swinging the rear-drive down so the existing drain hole is at tbe bottom. It is then filled via the ABS/speed sensor.

And yes - it would.

There are LOTS of writeups on this - including fully illustrated ones out on the web. Google is your friend.

Your drain plug is at the 9 o'clock position on the rear of the FD, hence the mention of dropping the drive so the oil can drain.

Note of caution on the putting the speed sensor back.

It has a small o-ring that can slip/split going back in if not careful

Have fun - did the fluid change on my wife's 05 not a big deal - also great time to lube the splines!!

"also great time to lube the splines!!"

I highly recommend you lube the splines as well. The splines on my bike were quite dry at the 12K mile and 24K mile FD oil change. Being just 3K miles away from the 36K mile service it is just part of the maintenance now (FD oil change/spline lube). Have fun.

The only thing I would add to what you read in the post at the link above, is that BMW specifies 75W90 synthetic GL-5 for the FD. To be precise, BMW specifies Castrol SAF-XO. This product is not available at BMW bike dealers in the U.S., but BMW USA markets a BMW-branded 75W90 synthetic product. If you care, some have reported that the Castrol product is available at Land Rover dealers.

Note of caution on the putting the speed sensor back.

It has a small o-ring that can slip/split going back in if not careful

Have fun - did the fluid change on my wife's 05 not a big deal - also great time to lube the splines!!

And... Make absolutely sure the sensor wire is securely and firmly attached to the two clips that keep it off of the rotor when you button everything up. DAMHIK... :P

The only thing I would add to what you read in the post at the link above, is that BMW specifies 75W90 synthetic GL-5 for the FD. To be precise, BMW specifies Castrol SAF-XO. This product is not available at BMW bike dealers in the U.S., but BMW USA markets a BMW-branded 75W90 synthetic product. If you care, some have reported that the Castrol product is available at Land Rover dealers.

Well, also I've noticed that Mobil 1 full synthetic 75W90 GL-5 is readily available at most automotive stores, at least in my area. It's what I used when I did my final drive fluid replacement.

Yes, Land Rover dealers have a proper 75W90 GL5 gear oil at about $10. There is evidence that this IS, in fact, the proper oil.

The BMW oil at about twice the price is RED... but the Land Rover oil is the color of oil.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Not to mention that BMW would probably void your warantee on the rear drive if you drilled and tapped it. I'm finding BMW to be pretty sticky on Major warantee issues--like my engine that currently is in the shop with both jugs pulled off. It's been more than 2-weeks now and BMW is still trying to decide what to do.

Jim Von Baden also has a nice write-up on his site also..

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/page3.aspx

One thing different on the RT (Jim's pics are a GS) is that the muffler clamp should be loosened the the muffler spun out of the way to get the wheel out easily....Unless you have a lift, of course...

Here's mine with the speed sensor out ready to refill....

Suggest you get Jim's video's too......Very helpful..

PeterAnnieFamily2007005.jpg

Honda Moly 60 paste sold at Honda dealers. The small tube will last you a long time.

+1 on that i still have my orginal tube and it is over 5 years old.

What do you use to lube the splines????

BMW sells a tube of lubricant for this purpose, which is what I use. There is enough in the tube for at least the life of the bike.

Jay

Archived