IGNORED

Alternator belt

hitechcpa

When is this belt to be replaced? I've got 46K miles on my '05 12RT, should I be worried or just continue to ride the hell out of it? Finally, is this belt only available at the dealer? Thanks in advance to all my buddies out there.

I keep hearing the interval is 36K miles to change the alternator belt. I stopped by Napa and picked up a Gates Micro-v belt part number 040233. The belt came right off the shelf and the cost was $13.00. I think it time for you to change it. Be sure to keep your 46K miler and use it as a spare.

I'm pretty sure (he says without checking the maintenance schedule) that it's 60,000 kms, i.e., 36,000 miles as indicated earlier.

One other thing to consider. The replacement belts for all hex-heads are branded "elastabelt." The belts have a specific stretch designed so they operate in the system where there is no belt tension adjustment. I would go with OEM for this reason alone. I doubt anyone at NAPA can supply elasticity specs for their line. If this isn't correct the aftermarket belt may burn up alternator bearings from too much tension or experience slip and accelerated belt wear from no enough tension. For something that gets replaced infrequently I really don't see the economy of a part that may fail at the worse of times. BTW I replaced my belt at 35000 miles and it looked good. That old belt now rides along as a spare.

Just had the 24K service done on my R1150GS and the dealer suggested doing the alternator belt as he indicated BMW is now suggesting 24 months instead of 36 months ... when I check on advrider and found numerous issues with belts before 36K along with the fact the belt PLUS labor was less than $100 figured it was cheap insurnace. Just my opinion ... I would had to save a few bucks and get stuck on the side of the road. So 24K works for me.

I agree with Mudman that you and your bike will be best served by using an OEM part in this area. A few dollars saved for an auto part, spread over several years for the avg. rider doesn't outweigh the risk of being stranded hundreds of miles from Nowhere, USA, on a Sunday, at night, in the rain and cold. Because, when your Napa Auto Parts belt fails, that is where and when it will fail.

As for the reduced service interval for the alternator belt, 24K vs. 36K miles, I am unaware of such a change. You should personally check with your dealer before changing out the belt sooner than the known interval of 36K mi. Carrying a spare belt when traveling is good juju.

I have 50,000 mi on my belt and it still looks good. I check its condition when I do a valve adjust. I have a spare and I might change it at 54,000... depending on how it looks.

I agree with Mudman that you and your bike will be best served by using an OEM part in this area. A few dollars saved for an auto part, spread over several years for the avg. rider doesn't outweigh the risk of being stranded hundreds of miles from Nowhere, USA, on a Sunday, at night, in the rain and cold. Because, when your Napa Auto Parts belt fails, that is where and when it will fail.

As for the reduced service interval for the alternator belt, 24K vs. 36K miles, I am unaware of such a change. You should personally check with your dealer before changing out the belt sooner than the known interval of 36K mi. Carrying a spare belt when traveling is good juju.

It is a personal preference I guess and the same reason I don't try and get every last mile out of my tires or battery. Just replaced my GS battery this past spring as it was nearly 6 years old. Worked fine but I am not one to temp fate. Same with the alternator belt. I am sure some guys can get 75,000 miles out of them ... I am just not one to risk a breakdown. Never had a bike strand me yet and hope to keep that record going.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394536&highlight=alternator+belt

I was told at the shop that BMW now thinks 24,000 is the magic number for belt change too. Do it yourself though, it's easy and much cheaper.

Yep ... that is what my dealer told me and since the bike was in for the 24K anyway it was easy to let them do the swap. But next time I will give it a try myself.

Just had the 24K service done on my R1150GS and the dealer suggested doing the alternator belt as he indicated BMW is now suggesting 24 months instead of 36 months ... when I check on advrider and found numerous issues with belts before 36K along with the fact the belt PLUS labor was less than $100 figured it was cheap insurnace. Just my opinion ... I would had to save a few bucks and get stuck on the side of the road. So 24K works for me.

I did my alternator belt yesterday for my 36k service, good think I did because it was ready to go it had a slit going with the pulley, wouldn't have lasted much longer. I think I'll change it in 24k next time!!!

Archived