IGNORED

1st gear

thenok

Hi!

I bought a R1100S last saturday. Have done about 800km so far. When I am putting it in 1st gear I have to move the bike a little forward/backward or lett the cluch leveler out a bit to get it in 1st gear. Is this a normal BMW thing and will it be better when the engine have som more km on it?

Les is more

I know it is true of my 1150RT and was also true of the 1200C. It doesn't happen every time but it is very commonly the case.

BucksTherapy

That is the way mine works and there have been a number of posts on this site with similar findings.

Luckily you get a loud clunk when i does go into gear so you know you got it! grin.gif

Yes! Must be a german siting in there with a sledge hammer. But still better than a smooth japanese gearbox clap.gif.

Good to know I`m not alone anyway thumbsup.gif. With a BMW it seems you never walk alone grin.gif.

I`ve heard about the clunky gearbox of the BMW`s, but it is a lot better than expected smirk.gif.

ShovelStrokeEd

Give it some time and all will be well. The 1100S has the smoothest shifting gearbox of any of the R bikes because it has the closest ratios. The thing you describe, when stationary, is normal to any gearbox, including those in cars. As you stated, a moment with the clutch lever and all is well again. My 1100S, with 40 thousand miles on it, hardly ever does even that any more. I tend to rev it a bit higher than many though, typically shifting at 5K or slightly better RPM as the norm, 6K when in a mild hurry and about 8K when pressing. The motor thrives on this as does the gear box.

Another technique you can try is leaving the clutch disengaged (lever out) until the last possible moment and then pulling in the clutch and quickly, as you pull in the lever, toe the shifter down into first.

Thanks Ed!

I just have to get jused to it then I guesse cool.gif.

It is only from stand still when hiting it in 1st there is some "problems". When bike is moving the gearbox is very smooth smile.gif.

I try it first, if it doesn't go, pull in the clutch, then let it out, then try it again. Never fails to slide right in. I think it has to do with getting the splines turning so they will line up.

Another technique you can try is leaving the clutch disengaged (lever out) until the last possible moment and then pulling in the clutch and quickly, as you pull in the lever, toe the shifter down into first.

That's the easiest way I've found also...

Mine does the same thing when I've been neutral with the clutch out. I have gotten used to double pumping the clutch before even trying to put it in first.

Archived