IGNORED

First Flat - Slime, Wheel Swaps, and More

moshe_levy

Augh, what a commute!

Got my first flat ever today, on the RT's rear, coming home from work. Naturally, since it's my first flat, it happened by the side of a busy highway, at night, with a light rain coming down.

I had a small bottle of SLIME and a DC-powered Slime pump I bought at Walmart in 2006 tucked under the seat, and both worked like a charm. Use the included valve stem tool to remove the valve, squirt the SLIME in, pump up to 42 psi, and you're done. I was able to get back on the road and make it my 35 miles home within 20 minutes of discovering the flat.

I got home and found two small staple nails in the tire. I'm not at all thrilled with the idea of spending the next 6k miles on a SLIMED tire, however. I've decided to patch the nail holes for extra assurance, and even then I'm not happy. The little voice in my head says buy a new tire, since an accident is bound to cost more than a new tire.

This Z6 still has 6,000 miles left in it, though. Any thoughts? Yes, I know it's subjective and all that, but does anyone have any experience riding around with a patch or two?

Second, my wife's 2004 R1150R is now stored for the winter. She has an even newer Z6 on the back of her bike. She offered me use of it if I need it. Is it an even wheel swap between our bikes? Meaning, can I take the entire rear wheel off of her R and swap it for my 2004 RT's rear wheel? This would make the whole issue a no-brainer. I'd just do that and deal with my RT's tire after the holidays when I have time to take it down and get the tire changed. I'm curious if it's as easy as it sounds....

-MKL

I have never used slime on a tire so I do not know how that would affect this situation.

Where is the hole in the tire? In the center or near the sidewall?

I have plugged a z6 myself with the rope plug and glue. I put over 4000 miles on it. The hole was near the center of the tire in the grove of the tread. I checked the air pressure often. It did not leak any more than the front with no hole.

If you have time take it to a moto shop that has the special mushroom plugs.

Got a drywall screw in my Z6 this summer. After a rather exhausting search for someone to repair it, I gave up and bought a new one. I saved the old one. Then, after 2Kmi, the new tire got a bad bolt hole which tore through the steel belt. It was truely trashed. I was rather upset. I pulled the old tire off the wall and brought it to a Auto Tire repair shop which put a very reliable plug/patch. The trashed tire is now on the wall, but I won't likely attempt to fix it.

With the old tire repaired, I had my motocycle shop mount and balance the tire. So far, it has another 2Kmi on it without a bit of air loss.

Now, I don't plan to tour this late in the season and my commute is all side roads. Plus, I will replace front and rear early spring. At that point, my front Z6 will have 9Kmi and rear will have 7Kmi. Not a bad time for replacement.

Moshe, I don't have an answer for your wheel swap question. What I do have is a question for you...you state that the Z-6 has 6K miles left in it. Curious, how many miles do you have on it already? I've got a Z-6 on my 02 RT. The bike had 8132 miles when I bought it and the seller told me that the tires was new at 7000 miles. In 5 months I've put over 6000 miles on it and wonder how longer the tire should run. I too wonder about running on tires repaired either with the Slime or with the tar strips. Sorry to steal your thread with more questions, hopefully one of the resident techies can answer the R to RT wheel swap question for you.

Hawk

A few clarifications....

1) The staple nails (both) are in the meatiest center portion of the tread. Great for fixing! I know better than to deal with sidewall repairs.

2) The R to RT wheel swap becomes an even better option now that I see some of you run on quality installed plugs. I'd really like to know if this works or not.

Hawk, you asked a question which is mainly affected by region. Here in New Jersey where I commute, my Z6s last 12-14k miles. On a cross country trip last summer, the same tires wore completely flat

z6worn.jpg

in around 7,500 miles. So what mileage I get out of 'em here is not going to give you any indication of what you're going to get out there in California. Ask other Californians with similar riding styles and habits and you will get a better answer.

So c'mon you techies out there - can I swap my wife's 2004 R1150R's rear wheel for my '04 RT's?

-MKL

The R1150R and R1150RT rear wheels have the same part numbers, so they are fully interchangeable.

With two staple holes in the center of the tire I would just plug them with a string type plug and keep using it. In that kind of hole they should work fine. But that's me. I've done crazier things.

MKL, it looks like Paul did the research on the wheel swap so you now have that info..

On the tire repair question? A lot of us have made less than approved repairs on motorcycle tires in an emergency or to get another couple of thousand miles out of a motorcycle tire.. In most cases no problems as we are still here & alive..

If you want to do it correct per the tire manufacturers recommendations & especially if you ride fast for long distances here is the info from Metzler’s tec site..

“TYRE REPAIR (TUBELESS TYRES)

According to the specific regulations of different country governments, a general recommendation regarding tyre repair cannot be given. For your country, please refer to your distributor. In case a repair is permitted, METZELER is only recommending the repair of small punctures restricted to the tread area using a mushroom head type plug. The repair of a punctured tubeless tyre by means of fitting a tube is not permitted .”

Twisty

Anton Largiader
Second, my wife's 2004 R1150R is now stored for the winter. She has an even newer Z6 on the back of her bike. She offered me use of it if I need it.

Wow, you waited for her to offer? :) Meredith doesn't even miss a beat now when she walks outside and sees her bike missing some major component. "What am I supposed to ride now?" "How about the RS?" "OK."

Thanks for the quote, Twisty. I've been reading this thread thinking "I don't think I'd ride on a patched tire." Now I've got Metzler saying it's OK if it's legal. Since patching goes against both the Legal and Sales departments at Metzler, it must really be OK as long as you use the 'shrooms.

Something to tuck away for future reference. :Cool:

Wow, you waited for her to offer? :) Meredith doesn't even miss a beat now when she walks outside and sees her bike missing some major component.

Well, I'm a newlywed, and mine still is quite possessive of her steeds. Give it a few years so I can break her in... :grin:

-MKL

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

Hi Moshe - for your consideration;

i was unable to locate a local shop who was willing to apply a patch of any type (even internal mushroom patch).

point of the post - you might not either - i.e. you may have to install the patch yourself. so you might want to prepare mentally (and physically) for this event.

as

A) i was in a hurry (Last time i fought with a dirt bike tire using tire irons only, i lost the battle) to go to a rally and

B) a bunch of folks said not to patch - "DONT PATCH"

- so i bought a new tire (this being kanada => 280$). .

doing it again (and of course i might get a chance) i would have at least kept the old tire (60% life left) and self applied mushroom patch so tire could be a spare.

everyone warned me off patching but looking at the mushroom patch i think the risk of a blow out or even a leak are less than about any other risk you face on the road.

I believe that the underlying message from Metzeler is that a quality mushroom plug will do the work. But if in your Country you can file a Law Suit, they didn't say so.

Liability is the word. Thank you John Doe Esq. :dopeslap:

I believe that the underlying message from Metzeler is that a quality mushroom plug will do the work. But if in your Country you can file a Law Suit, they didn't say so.

Liability is the word. Thank you John Doe Esq. :dopeslap:

In my country, the law requires all tyre repairs to confirm to BSI specification. BSI do not list an approved repair for Z-Rated tyres, so it would be illegal to repair one.

Andy

Hi Moshe-

here's a publication you might be familiar with:

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/letters/06LettersB.pdf

Plugs are meant to get you home not to the end of your tread life. Are they warrenteed otherwise?

I know I wouldn't want to be riding across the desert at speed when it's 110 out, asphalt is 140, tire is what? 150? and be wondering when (not if)my plug will fail.

There are those who would disagree- and that's ok too.

regards-

OK.

On the other hand, I have had a tire punctured by a roadkill tooth, then had it plugged on the road to get home. After much of what is being discussed here, I opted for replacing the tire.

I don't believe I'm going too far ona a limb saying that no one here would take a $100 bill and light a cigar with it. But if we take a step back and get really serious, I also would venture to say that most of us here do not rely 100% on our bikes for transportation and they are by large a much loved hobby.

Thus, to spend $100-150 to replace a tire after a flat, is probably a risk we all have pretty much accepted.

Yes, we all hate to pay too much for everything, so we complain and rant over $15 oil filters, $13 spark plugs, only 6,000 mi from our tires, but we still love our bimmers, and go hunting for bargains and ways to beat the system, such as Autolite spark plugs and AC oil filters; that' spart of the enjoyment for me.

Yes, a plug is an option, but if you need to minimize your expenditures to that level out of actual economic need, maybe it would be a good idea to consider public transportation. Riding on a hot road at 110 MPH is probably not to/from work daily commute, so I'm not making reference to that kind of transportation.

On the outside chance that I did not read someones post carefully enough, I will state that I do not imply any offense to anyone's sensitivity.

Best.

Just a little side note

I believe if you purchase your tires from cycle gear they offer a road hazard. I have thoght about this when purcahsing new tires. However, I still went with sw moto for my tires as the prices on the pilot road II were so much better.

Yesterday, I checked the tire pressure out back - still holding strong with the SLIME. I took the bike in for examination and because of the easy location - dead center in the tread, we decided to patch it as well for good measure - the good old fashioned long, thin patch, not the mushroom jobs. I'm going to get a few more thousand miles out of this tire over the winter and spring, and then replace before summer hits.

-MKL

Archived