IGNORED

Best Tire repair kit??

Dan B.

OK, I will likely do some touring next year in some pretty out of the way places and am a little concerned about getting a flat in the middle of somewhere.

For those of you that carry a tire repair kit, which one do you like the best and for those that have used one in an emergency, where you satisfied with the result.

Thanks, Dan B.

Hi,

Get the "gooey string" type plug repair kit available at any auto parts store or in the auto section at Wallymart,etc.

Camel and Monkeygrip are two of the well known brands ypu are likely to find.

Here is an example:

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=VCT&MfrPartNumber=M8806&CategoryCode=3190

Yes,I have actually used these style kits on both car and MC tires and have been satisfied with the results,have even had these plugs last thousands of miles thru the life of the tire!

JR356

I'd strongly suggest avoiding Stop-N-Go repair kits. It's an small attractive pouch CO2 canister and plug kit. I used it and was amazed the plugs rely on friction of a greased plug to hold!

I made it home, but it was a very scary ride.

I think a 12V electric tire pump and autoparts plug repair kit (sticky rope type) will do you fine.

For those of you that carry a tire repair kit, which one do you like the best and for those that have used one in an emergency, where you satisfied with the result.

Thanks, Dan B.

Buy the BMW patch kit. I've repaired tyres with the BMW kit where the gooey rope stuff was leaking, sealant in a can was oozing out, mushroom plugs were leaking... I've driven 400km at warp speeds on the BMW patch and once rode the length of Baja (San Jose del Cabo to San Diego) with a guy after I patched his tyre. Nothing better IMHO. Small. Compact. Works.

+1 on the licorice stick stuff (rope). Had a flat in N. M. a few months ago, two up, loaded, was back underway in about 15 minutes, continued another 2000+++ miles of the vacation trip with just a couple of top-offs. However, upon return home, the rope began to leak down more regularly. I got a new tire. I originally had the opinion a patch is a great permanent fix; now I think it's a great temporary fix. YMMV. I got mine at Harbor Freight for five bucks or so. Still carry it and a small 12V pump under the seat.

MORE INFO IN THIS THREAD.

I'd strongly suggest avoiding Stop-N-Go repair kits. It's an small attractive pouch CO2 canister and plug kit. I used it and was amazed the plugs rely on friction of a greased plug to hold!

I made it home, but it was a very scary ride.

I think a 12V electric tire pump and autoparts plug repair kit (sticky rope type) will do you fine.

So you are telling us to avoid a product that worked for you and got you home?

I had the Stop-N-Go mushroom plug gun. I read that plenty of LD riders love it. My experience is less than 50% satisfaction. I've made plugs with it that held air for 10 minutes or longer, then leaked badly! So I recommend the same sticky-string kits noted above, from any auto-parts store. I'm batting 1000 with those (about 6 for 6) making perfect repairs.

On the topic of air sources, I always worry with CO2 that if I fail to make a good patch the first time I've blown my wad filling the tire. So I take a small 12V compressor. I used to strip the housing off a $12 no-name. That is the smallest cheapest compressor solution and gets right down to the size and weight of a typical CO2 gun with enough cartridges (12 g or 60 g). These days, with a little more storage, I carry the Slime brand mini-compressor.

Great posts, thanks for the info. I actually have a Harbor freight store close and stopped in and picked up the dyna plug kit for about twenty bucks. I like the idea of the portable air compressor and will probably order one online.

Hard to beat the wealth of knowledge on this site, Have a great Holiday Season,

Dan B.

Archived