IGNORED

Help - Fuel Gage Not Working?

TheTick

Had the 12k service done. Display showed I was on empty. Filled it up, and no change. Reset the OBC and still nothing. Take it apart and I don't see any loose plugs or anything. Any ideas?

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

for me the obvious first choice would be to take it back to the person who did the service and tell them they broke it and could they fix it no-change please.

uh, I did, and he nver removed the tank, and WE don't know why, or if, it had anything to do with it. We did not find anything loose. So, has anyone else seen this?

Mark,

Recently, my ESA rear shock and ZFE were replaced under warranty. The dealer also replaced the working fuel strip in an effort to program the ZFE without having to wait for the original to dry out.

The bike went four days before the fuel gauge stopped working. I thought the same and went looking for bad connections. Talking to the dealer they mentioned that brand new bikes have had the same problem.

I would like my old working strip back but I know that ain't gonna happen. My guess is yours is kaput just as mine and others. Mine will need to wait for Spring when the snow and salt are just a memory.

I had a problem with my fuel gauge reading correctly as well. It caused me to run out of gas for the first time in 12/13 years. The dealer ended up having to replace the entire fuel pump.

Mark,

replaced the working fuel strip in an effort to program the ZFE without having to wait for the original to dry out.

What/where is the fuel strip? I have been unable to find any info on it.

thanks for the info too!

No one asked this obvious question, "Is the bike out of warranty?" Do yourself and the bike a favor, take it to a dealer. You know, sometimes things just break, quit working for no explainable reason. The dealer has the diagnostic equipment to assist in determining what exactly is wrong. You can waste allot of time and swap out perfectly good parts trying to narrow down the problem. You can also screw up more costly things messing with things you know nothing about. However you decide to proceed, good luck.

I had a problem with my fuel gauge reading correctly as well.
Yeah, those correctly working fuel gauges can play havoc on a poor riders psyche!

Had the same thing happen to me. My dealer stated that it was the fuel level film strip that was not reading correctly. They said that when they tested the strip it was reading 578.981 KOHMS and it should be 2.2-2.8 KOHMS. They replaced it under warranty. On my invoice it lists the part as # 16 14 7 675 547 (fuel level sensor). Had to ride using the trip odometer for awhile before I could get in and get it fixed. Hope this helps.

No one asked this obvious question, "Is the bike out of warranty?" Do yourself and the bike a favor, take it to a dealer. You know, sometimes things just break, quit working for no explainable reason. The dealer has the diagnostic equipment to assist in determining what exactly is wrong. You can waste allot of time and swap out perfectly good parts trying to narrow down the problem. You can also screw up more costly things messing with things you know nothing about. However you decide to proceed, good luck.

The bike is out of warranty. I was hoping for a solution if one was/is available as the nearest dealer is almost two hours away. But if I needed, that is what I will do. Heck, it may have just been a loose connection that I missed! Thats why I threw it out here! Thanks for the help guys. Let me know should you have any other ideas. It will be a few weeks (or spring), before I can make it to the dealer.

Mark, the fuel strip is inside the tank. It reads the fuel level based on resistance. When there is no readout it seems as though they open like a bad resistor.

Let us know how it works out.

My 2008 GS Adventure at 2750 miles suddenly had the fuel gage say there was no fuel whatsoever. The dealer replaced the strip. A week later the system said I had 130 miles of range. The bottom triangle and one bar were showing. I did a lot of early morning riding, maybe 50 miles, and stopped for coffee with the group. When I came out to get on the bike, a genie had stopped by, and I suddenly had 2/3 of a tank. Now I was confused and decided to fill 'er up. It took 5.7 gallons. So it looks like the fuel gage system is now going kaput. Wonder what will crap out next?

This bike was sold as a 2008 according to the VIN number. Using the BMW serial number checker, one finds it was built in 2006. Hm....

My 2007 RT, bought new in October 2007 and now with 12k on it, was almost a year old with "updates" to the computer along the way before it showed I had a "full" tank.

A float and a wire sticking out of the tank would be more accurate. We learn to use the trip mile recorders to verify actual gas on board.

We would throw a screamin' fit if we had this much fuel gage problem on a $20k car or truck and it would get fixed. Yet we seem to tolerate this inept design on these BMW motorcycles.

Are we nuts, or what?

Hummm. If one replaces the "fuel strip", I'm wondering if a calibration must be performed by the dealer?

Anybody?

By the book, yes.
Hummm. If one replaces the "fuel strip", I'm wondering if a calibration must be performed by the dealer?

Anybody?

That's exactly what I asked the service manager after finding out it was replaced after the ESA/ZFE replacement. Couldn't get a straight answer, sadly I don't think he knows.

I never did bother to have the fuel strip fixed (it reads full at full, and nearly full at empty.) I'm just going off the trip odometer like I've always done. The first time the fuel gauge quit working, I didn't realize it and ran out of gas on the freeway.

Archived