IGNORED

Re-key for topcase

SK_in_AB

I have a new to me topcase with key that is different from my ignition. Is there an easy way to pull out the cylinder so I can have a locksmith rekey it?

Stephen,

Check out this site for past posts on this matter. I seem to recall that a couple of them are very good.

I have pulled out my case locks using a dentists probe. The lock set is held in place by a spring loaded tab at the back of the cylinder. Take the point of the probe and shove it into the cylinder all the way to the end. Puch up on the probe, what you are trying to do is unlatch the spring loaded tab. If it doesn't work in one direction, turn your probe around and try it on the other side.

Carefull when you pull out the cylinder, other sppring loaded tabs may want to fall out. You can rekey this this cylinder your self if you have the correct tabs, just change them around.

Good Luck thumbsup.gif

DavidEBSmith

I have a Givi topcase that I would love to rekey to be like my ignition.

Not likely. The Givi topcase is a different key blank from the BMW locks. Not sure if it's the same size lock cylinder or mechanism. A really really good locksmith might be able to do it, but it's hard enough even finding one who can duplicate a Givi key. (Don't bother with links to the posts on duplicating Givi keys, the key for my topcase isn't The Club blank and I haven't found a locksmith wiliing to go through all his blanks to find one that matches).

I have a Givi topcase that I would love to rekey to be like my ignition.

Me too. I think the chances are vanishingly small. But post here if you find a way!

Thanks for the tips, which I printed off. I will try the rekey w/o a kit, and perhaps delete 1 or 2 pins to make it work with my ignition key.

S.

Look at the IBMWR list under the technical section as well and learn how to set it so you can remove the key and leave everything unlocked . Makes it much easier to load and unload and you are less likely to wreck the locking tab.

Archived