IGNORED

Tank Bag Option

Peter Collins

Peter Collins

Reviewing the Marsee web site I saw the Marsee "Corona" 11 liter tank bag. Has anyone else seen this? The tank bag is mounted directly to the fuel filler cap via a magnet so the bag does not touch the tank. Reminds me of the BMC. Check it out. I like the way the BMW tank bag mounts on R12RT but I don't care for the bag it's self.

I've seen it. The bag looks fine but I got some second hand feedback that the magnetic mount may not be as secure as some might wish.... keep in mind that I did learn that second hand so the opinion may not be worth much. It's a nice idea in any case.

I've got that bag and think it looks better than the big mak. The magnet works perfect and it will never fall off. You have to untwist the bag to take it off.If it's the bag with the pockets on the sides you can honk the horn turning the bars too far with bar backs until you get used to it. thumbsup.gif

Jerry_75_Guy

I'm in the market for a tank bag also, and after giving it a look

I'd vote for the Marsee too (I have a Marsee armored mesh outfit

and is it IMHO a high quality product, leading me to believe

they're bags are good too).

However, the near $300 (!?!?!!?!!) price seems awful darn high.

(Kicking myself in the a$$ right now for not buying the Big Mak

that was in "Classifieds" recently tongue.gif)

Marsee is going on the cheap as of late. Their Corona mount add reads, "Heavy duty ABS plastic molded base offers rigid base on tankbag, covered with Ballistics fabric. Corona base attached to bottom of tankbag. CNC billet ring attaches to gas cap ring with longer provided screws."

Surprise! The ring that attaches to the gas cap is NOT a CNC billet piece at all! It's made out of a hard plastic, Urethane epoxy to be axact.

Buyer beware. BTW, they went from CNC billet to plastic but the price stayed the same crazy.gif

Oh, one more thing...I just know that someone here is going to say, "Proof, where's the proof?"

---------------------------------------------------

You now have one less on backorder.

Alberto

-----Original Message-----

To: Rtaggamer@aol.com

Sent: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:08:01 -0700

Subject: RE: BMW Corona Tank Bag

You are absolutely correct about the statement on the website being wrong. I have contacted our webmaster and the mistake will be promptly corrected. I apologize very much for our oversight. We switched to the urethane epoxy the beginning of this year not because it is cheaper but holds tolerances more effectively. Certainly we encourage you to return the bag if you're unhappy as we still have several hundred on back order. We are sorry you think the product is cheap plastic, far to the contrary.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 1:03 PM

To: marsee@marseeproducts.com

Subject: BMW Corona Tank Bag

I'm extremely disappointed in the construction of your Corona tank bag for my BMW R1150RT. Your website says the following, regarding the base construction:

"Heavy duty ABS plastic molded base offers rigid base on tankbag, covered with Ballistics fabric. Corona base attached to bottom of tankbag. CNC billet ring attaches to gas cap ring with longer provided screws."

Well, I ordered a bag from my BMW dealer and it just arrived. Much to my dismay and horror, the ring that attaches to the gas cap ring is NOT, repeat NOT a "CNC billet ring" as advertised. In fact it's a cheap molded plastic piece!

Clearly, you can see why a customer may feel cheated and lied to. I was "told" by the info on your website that the crown was a CNC billet ring and that's what I expected to get when I paid $300.00 for your bag ($297.00 to be exact).

The deception on Marsee's part has to cease NOW! Call it what it is: plastic, nylon, space-age polymer, but NOT "CNC billet ring"!

Alberto

Merrimack, NH

-----------------------------------------------------

Eleven days ago they said that the misleading CNC billet claim would be "promptly corrected" -- they have not.

For most purposes in our daily lives a good thermoplastic will do everything that needs doing. For instance, it's been a long time since I saw a sheet metal dashboard.

IMHO, there's no call for aluminum in that application, and t-plastic is probably as good or better.

This isn't 1956, you know. Plastics have improved.

But I agree about the website error. I just wouldn't have bothered cancelling my order over it.

Pilgrim

Pilgrim, I agree with you 100% but you missed my point entirely. Plastic is good. I love plastic. My RT has plenty of it and I love it too wink.gif

Just don't tell me it's made out of CNC billet!

PS. I just saw your signature line. Maybe you didn't miss my point after all thumbsup.gif

John Bentall

I would guess that machining a petrol tank bracket out of billet aluminum is expensive, but that commissioning a mould to make the same component out of ABS would be considerably more expensive, especially if one's not quite sure of the number of units the mould will be used for. Marsee seems to have a good reputation for customer service in the event that something might fail.

Steve_Witmer

I can't speak for the "Corona" mount bag, but I bought a Marsee 25 liter teardrop tank bag for my RT (strap-mounted) and it is very nice. It zips right off the bike leaving the strap attachment in place.

My only complaint is that the map pocket is a bit small and I am still a map guy rather than a GPS user.

Here is a different option by SE-Motech that was shown at the MOA national. (Disclaimer - - I don't own one or have an direct experiance with their products)

It looked pretty slick as it does connect by use of a gas filler ring; keeping the bag off of the tank. also had an optional GPS holder that mounted to the front of the tank bag.

SE-Motech at Twisted Throttle

Archived