IGNORED

Brake Pad Replacement

AZJerry

What is the procedure for replacing brake pads on a 2002 1150 RT?

Is it as simple as pulling the pads and replacing with the new pads?

Yes, but...

I always take the opportunity to clean the calipers, check for corrosion, check brake lines and lube the rubbing surfaces of the pad/caliper (with a very thin layer of anti-sieze).

In fact, the front calipers do not have to come off the bike - pull the clip on the pin, pull the pin (catching the anti-rattle spring - you did check which way it fits no?), clean the pistons, using the old pads as protection lever the pistons in, pull the old pads. Clean everything else, rub some anti-sieze on the sides of the new pads, drop them in, re-fit spring/pin (lubed)/clip. PUMP BRAKES.

At the rear, pull clip, drive out pin, unbolt caliper, remove caliper, remove pads, clean everything, push in pistons, fit new pads, fit pin/clip, refit caliper.

All this typed off the top of my head, but it is simple to do.

Google "oilhead maintenance manual" for a good 'how-to' for your bike.

Andy

Yes but :)

Like Andy said, pad replacement is a good time to inspect your brake calipers/boots/rotors etc.

When replacing pads, I use DENATURED alcohol to clean the calipers and parts and also wipe the rotor clean with a clean rag soaked in DENATURED alcohol. I recently had an issue with a slight "juddering" from the front brakes which I thought may have been due to the rotor(s) being contaminated with something. A simple wipe round the disc with a rag soaked in denatured alcohol got the brakes back to their normal smooth selves again :thumbsup: .

Like Andy & Philby said,

BUT you also need to be aware that if a fluid flush has been carried out recently and the process was done using worn pads (rather than resetting the pistons fully into their housings), then there is a chance you are going to have Brake fluid spillage.

NOT LIKELY.....BUT POSSIBLE.

Andy

Wow what good timimg. About half way through Chapter 14 of my Cylmer and shouting out "hey honey, listen to this". This was really just what I wanted to know and Rose Ann isn't giving me the LOOK now. :D

Like Andy & Philby said,

BUT you also need to be aware that if a fluid flush has been carried out recently and the process was done using worn pads (rather than resetting the pistons fully into their housings), then there is a chance you are going to have Brake fluid spillage.

NOT LIKELY.....BUT POSSIBLE.

Andy

Just in case you get some fluid overflow when you compress the front calipers put a catch jar under the tubing that comes out just behind the right foot peg. Other than that it is as easy as it sounds reading the above posts

Archived