IGNORED

Cold start cranking

bushmanstan

My 2007 R1200RT starter cranks really slow when the abmient temperature is in the 30's and 40's F. Seems like it will barely turn the crank over but has always started after 2 or 3 revolutions and run fine. I am using the 20/50 BMW motor oil.

Is this normal?

Hey, it's a german machine and as I remember from 40 years ago, it gets icy cold there. Now the Germans have a certain mind set in how they do things. Very master racey sorta. What they figured out is if it's cold outside you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle. There for if it gets to cold to start, thats a corporate sign to get in your car. I believe the Bimmers have heated seats to attest to that. :dopeslap:

Yes, it gets a little slugish when cranking in cold temps. So do my cars. I don't see much of an issue. I went for a short ride when it was 28F outside. It still started just fine and I froze my butt for a few miles and came home and parked it. I don't have much intest in finding out if it will start in colder temps.

I replaced the battery with an Odyssey the second winter but it didn't help..

I would imagine it's because the Odessesy battery has a lower amp-hour rating than the stock battery. I have replaced my stock battey with the Universal Battery, part number UB22-12N, recommended in the hex parts thread and the slow cranking in the cold is a thing of the past for my 2005. Temps have hit the upper 20s in N. Texas and I've riden in it. This battery has a higher amp-hour rating than the stocker. 22Ah vs. the stock 19Ah. The Odessey is 17Ah and costs more than the Universal battery (about $80 delivered). I don't understand everyone's fascination with the Odessey. Seems like you are paying more for less.

I would imagine it's because the Odessesy battery has a lower amp-hour rating than the stock battery. I have replaced my stock battey with the Universal Battery, part number UB22-12N, recommended in the hex parts thread and the slow cranking in the cold is a thing of the past for my 2005. Temps have hit the upper 20s in N. Texas and I've riden in it. This battery has a higher amp-hour rating than the stocker. 22Ah vs. the stock 19Ah. The Odessey is 17Ah and costs more than the Universal battery (about $80 delivered). I don't understand everyone's fascination with the Odessey. Seems like you are paying more for less.

So for cold weather cranking are you saying the Universal is better than the Odyssey PC680?

http://www.apexbattery.com/adventure-power-ub22-12n-atv-battery-atv-batteries-universal-power-group-atv-batteries.html

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680series.htm

Mine does the same thing and has since day 1. There have been times I am amazed it even starts, but it always does - even when the temp is below 20 degrees. I am still on the original battery. I switched to synthetic 15W-50 oil which helped a little bit. Also, make sure you have the clutch pulled in before you thumb the starter button, which lessens the load a bit.

Jay

When I took delivery of my '06RT in December, 2005, my dealer made certain that the bike was filled with 10w40 oil - and it started fine. If you use 20w50 year round, cranking times start to increase below 50o and at 40o, you'd better make certain the battery is fully charged. - Perfectly normal.

Tom

Not at all Bill. You did.

My stock battery has always cranked a bit slow in temps below 35. The Universal does not. You said there was no difference between how your bike started in cold weather with the stock battery and the Odessey. There has been a significant improvement in how mine has started in cold weather with the Universal Battery. Since I've never had an Odessey I cannot compare it to the Universal based on my experience. BTW, the Odessey page lists the CCA for the 680 at 220. The Universal lists CCA at 420. Hmmm... Again, I don't get what makes the Odessey so great. Online prices are $122 and up. In order to be of the same value as the Universal Battery it would have to last about two thirds as long. I did consider the Odessey when my stocker started getting weak but based on the rating, price and the fact that the terminals need no mods on the UB I decided it was worth the try. So far I have been very satisfied. If it dies in less than two years I'll know I probably made the wrong choice. Time will tell.

When I took delivery of my '06RT in December, 2005, my dealer made certain that the bike was filled with 10w40 oil - and it started fine. If you use 20w50 year round, cranking times start to increase below 50o and at 40o, you'd better make certain the battery is fully charged. - Perfectly normal.

Tom

I considered switching to 10w40 in winter but when I looked in the manual I believe it was only rated to 82 degrees F on the high side.... 20w50 was rated down to about 14F.. I figured I was likely to have some days here in winter above 82 so I guess I should stick to the heavier weight but when I ride to West Texas in Dec. and Jan. I worry about it not cranking at 20F..It barely turns over but so far has not failed to start.. I thought CCA were more important for cranking in cold weather than AH..But maybe I'm wrong...

Dave_zoom_zoom
My 2007 R1200RT starter cranks really slow when the abmient temperature is in the 30's and 40's F. Seems like it will barely turn the crank over but has always started after 2 or 3 revolutions and run fine. I am using the 20/50 BMW motor oil.

Is this normal?

I have started my 06 R1200RT at temps down to 15* F. I guess it will start even colder.

- In winter I use 10W-40 Amsoil "full syn." Motorcycle Oil.

- I keep a Batt. Tender Plus on the bike when not riding.

- The bike is in an outdoor shed. No heat but no wind.

- When I want to ride in the morning, I keep a 300 w. bulb on top of a metal support under and within 1 in. of the oil sump overnight.

-I ride with a full set of Gerbings.

LIFE IS GOOD!

Dave

IndianaHarvey

I'm thinking the same as you Scott. After work the temps were in the low 40s and I was worried the 05 1200RT wasn't going to start. The original battery is almost 4 years old now and has always been on a battery tender. So yesterday I ordered the Universal Battery for the same reasons as you. Cheaper, but with more cold cranking amps, and no modifications to make it fit.

Harvey

My 07' RT cranks very slowly at freezing temps and below. It has the original battery.

Yesterday, it wouldn't start at all. It turned over, caught and imediatly died. Over and over. . . . I cracked the throttle a hair and it started real nice. No idea what was going on there. .

Ed -

Dave_zoom_zoom
My 07' RT cranks very slowly at freezing temps and below. It has the original battery.

Yesterday, it wouldn't start at all. It turned over, caught and imediatly died. Over and over. . . . I cracked the throttle a hair and it started real nice. No idea what was going on there. .

Ed -

oop's!

Dave_zoom_zoom

Ed -

Yes, you are right Eddy!

I should have included that note with my post. I would say cracking the throttle is mandatory to keep the eng, running after it first fires off at temp's. at or below freezing.

Dave

Archived