IGNORED

Cyl Head Gasket

Steve Kolenda

Steve Kolenda

I have a 2000 R1100RT and was wondering how often the cyl head gaskets need to be changed? It appears that they are approx $20.00 each. Do they get replaced every time the valves are adjusted?

I think you mean the valve cover gaskets, and no, they don't need to be changed at regular intervals. Use 'em until they leak (if they ever do, some here are on the original gaskets after many years/miles.) The round gaskets that go over the spark plug opening have been known to leak on occasion (usually the result of improper installation) but these are only a few bucks and also don't need to be replaced at every adjustment unless they show a problem.

Thanks, yes I meant the valve cover gaskets. Anything else that needs to be replaced after the valve adjustment?

There really aren't any mandatory consumables for valve adjustments. Since I do my valve checks at 12,000 mile intervals I usually throw a new set of Autolite 3923 plugs in since they're only a couple of bucks for a set, but things like that are just personal preference.

Thanks.

How much risk with the 12,000 miles verses the BMW recommendation of 6,000 miles?

Once the valves have bedded in, they rarely change. I check mine every 6K miles and had to adjust two last time, but that was the first adjustment in 24K miles.

Andy

I have a 2000 R1100RT and was wondering how often the cyl head gaskets need to be changed? It appears that they are approx $20.00 each. Do they get replaced every time the valves are adjusted?

I have never replaced these rocker cover gaskets.

If you are worried about them, by all means get a set and keep them somehwere for emergency use, but generally speaking they are amazing at holding their sealing ability.

Just make sure that the central ring seal is correctly located EVERY time you assemble the cover.

Be careful NOT to overtighten the cover securing bolts.

Andy

My 60k mi. '04 RT has the original valve cover gaskets. I bought a new set, but never needed them. Just carefully clean the gasket and mating surfaces. The round rubber spark plug gasket on the other hand will start to leak, I've replaced those. I've gone to 10k on the valve checks, haven't changed anything in 26k mi.

Thanks.

How much risk with the 12,000 miles verses the BMW recommendation of 6,000 miles?

As others have noted there is very little change in valve lash once a new engine has settled in and it's not uncommon for many tens of thousands of miles to pass before the occasional tweak is required. From my experience I could probably go to even 24k between checks but the job is so easy there's just no point in pressing it. Many have settled on 12k as a happy medium, with 6k probably being overcautious for those who rack up a lot of miles in a short period of time. There is a side advantage in more frequent checks as they can give advance warning of sudden valve wear problems, but that would be a relatively uncommon occurrence on the oilheads which often see well in excess of 100-150k miles before requiring any top end work.

Last time I actually adjusted the valves was over 21k miles ago. I've checked them a couple of times since then but they haven't needed any adjustment.

As I keep pretty good tabs on my mpg (every fillup), am wondering if that can be used as an indicator. In other words, as long as my gas mileage stays consistent (and no valve clatter), any reason to even check valves?

Thoughts???

As I keep pretty good tabs on my mpg (every fillup), am wondering if that can be used as an indicator. In other words, as long as my gas mileage stays consistent (and no valve clatter), any reason to even check valves?

Thoughts???

There's not any kind of tight relationship between fuel mileage and valve adjustment (until things get really out of whack, and you don't want it to go that far) so you still need to check the valves at a set interval.

Steve Kolenda

Thanks to all for the good information. One more question if I may. What interval for the TB sync? I'm assuming the valves and the TB's are two separate issues and that just because the valves don't need adjusting you would still do a sync.

Thanks to all for the good information. One more question if I may. What interval for the TB sync? I'm assuming the valves and the TB's are two separate issues and that just because the valves don't need adjusting you would still do a sync.

A TB sync should simply be done when necessary, i.e. if you detect increasing vibration, etc. I can usually go quite a while without messing with it. However... if you do a valve adjustment you might want to check TB sync afterwards as a valve adjustment may affect cylinder balance (although truth be told probably not enough to matter unless you made a fairly large adjustment.)

Archived