IGNORED

Cannister to storage conversion

Michael Fajans

Michael Fajans

I have successfully made a screw on lid for what was formerly the charcoal filter cannister using threaded ABS (or is it PVC?)of the appropriate outside diameter and a matching cap. Before I reinstall it I was wondering if there is actual documentation of the cannister falling under the rear fender and jamming up the wheel or if it is a worst case fantasy.

I read something in this group about someone thinking their rear bearings seized, but it was the cannister falling off and getting stuck in the rear wheel. I did a cursory search, but was unable to find it. Maybe it was farther back than 3 months?

I went to remove mine a month ago, and realized a previous owner already did it grin.gif

Later,

jan

How many bikes have canisters? Can things fall off, of course. That's why normal routine checking of the bike should be done. You cannot possilby check every fastener all the time, but doing our own wrenching gives us the chance to wiggle things and see what is loose. Converting your canister to a storage container should have nothing to do with the canister falling off, IF you check that it is securely fastened.

I am not trying to be a wise a** -- just curious -- why did you do this?

I have a Roadster. A number of Roadster owners remove the cannister to improve the appearance and reduce weight. If you put the thing back on for storage, it still looks ugly.

I will take a risk and make a generalization that many RT owners have the saddle bags on all the time, so you can't see it anyway on an RT.

So did you do this for "stealth" storage?

Michael Fajans

Yeah, I was trying to make another small storage space. One issue however is that if you put items in it that are small it is difficult to get them out.

It was not an issue of "looks" for me. In fact it is now even more unsightly since the cannister's cap on this otherwise black RT is now white.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I am not trying to be a wise a** -- just curious -- why did you do this?... make a generalization that many RT owners have the saddle bags on all the time, so you can't see it anyway on an RT.

The canisters get full and clog up over time, so most folks pull them so as not to clog their injectors. I pulled mine after 6 years and found the lines leaving the canister to be clogged nearly 100% with a rusty brown mass! Actually, I stared at the cheeseburger in my hand and thought about my own hardening arteries! grin.gif

Archived